CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Race Bike is Finished and ready for 2010 Racing Season

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
I am thinking about painting my bike with rattle cans. Is there any tips you can give me, or suggestions, because it looks like you did a good job. Or should I just wing it?
First off, send everything with paper grid 600. Then in one go aply some primer - 2-4 coats.
Let dry for a week!!! - very important unless you want the paint to warp and flake.
Then in one go aply 5-8 coats of main colour. by ONE GO i mean all coats should be applyed with in 4 hour perioud or the paint will flake. So if you did 2 coats and ran out of paint, get more paint but DO NOT sparay any more coats untill 6-7 days past, i found that out the hard way.
I didnt clear coat as had no time. If you gonna be doing second colour like i did with black strips again wait about a week before you apply it to give preveots coat chance to cure.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO
what did you do with the seat you had on the bike before hand???? i like the single seat option.
I still have the old/standard seat. The seat cawl that you see in the first picture i made myself out of fibre glass and epoxy. Do a search in DIY section here there should be my right up about DIY seat cawl/cowl (cant remember how i had it speled) with pictures and step by step instructions

Old 08-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob65
Can you show pics of the mounts for the tail section.
I'll take some pics of the mounting braket i made for the tail unit and throw them up here by the weekend lads.
Thanks in showing an interest.

Any more questions - just ask, i have lots of time put into this - complete DIY quick shifter as well (based on programable micro chip and fuly adjustable KILL time and so on ...).
Let me know if anyone is interested in it. Was gonna start making them for sale but short on time at the moment.
Here is a video with my mate in front of me on R6 '06 and you'll be able to see he just couldnt get away from me on straight (he has a quick shifter as well):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aydrnuYmpRA

Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 AM

had any luck getting those pics?

managed to fit my rear fairing yesterday but still needs mounting. will help me line everything up but pics on what mounts/where you've used 'em will help out a lot

cheers!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by supZ
had any luck getting those pics?

managed to fit my rear fairing yesterday but still needs mounting. will help me line everything up but pics on what mounts/where you've used 'em will help out a lot

cheers!
I'll try getting some pics of he mountig bracket by the weekend mate.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Sort of funny I stumbled upon this. I am very interested in your painting process, because it looks pretty pro for rattle cans.

I am looking to paint my F2 this winter, and want to do it with rattle cans. I was wondering if at any point, you wet sanded with a 1500-2000 grit after applying your color coats? I assume not because its a race bike, but it looks so good I cant tell. Also, what kind of paint did you use? Just regular Krylon, or some sort of automotive touch up spray paint?

Thanks for the help, and good luck this season. Be safe

Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by antatious
Sort of funny I stumbled upon this. I am very interested in your painting process, because it looks pretty pro for rattle cans.

I am looking to paint my F2 this winter, and want to do it with rattle cans. I was wondering if at any point, you wet sanded with a 1500-2000 grit after applying your color coats? I assume not because its a race bike, but it looks so good I cant tell. Also, what kind of paint did you use? Just regular Krylon, or some sort of automotive touch up spray paint?

Thanks for the help, and good luck this season. Be safe
Read about wet sanding myself but had no time for perfection. Just sanded before priming with 600 and 1500 after priming. Used the cheapest cant i could find. But i bought special "PLASTIC PRIMER/FILLER" so it was a bit thicker then normal primer and filled any small imperfections. Also i didnt clear coated as no point - the bike is only gonna get wrecked at some point next year.
You will need heating if spraying in the garage and its cold/damp outside. Also take your time. DO NOT rush. If you gonna use light colour like yellow or light blue make sure the primer is same consistency allover or you will get patches of lighter/darker yellow/blue.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM

to reduce the spray-over (splatter) you can boil water and then when it starts to cool down put the rattle can in there to hear up the paint to get less splatter. Did this for my clearcoat on the frame of my old zzr and worked great!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by bammerman
to reduce the spray-over (splatter) you can boil water and then when it starts to cool down put the rattle can in there to hear up the paint to get less splatter. Did this for my clearcoat on the frame of my old zzr and worked great!
was told that myself but when came down to painting forgot all about it.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Hey thanks alot for the spray can painting tips, I didnt notice you responded till now. I plan on using them this winter.

Quick Reply: Race Bike is Finished and ready for 2010 Racing Season