CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Please Help!! I got a radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!! I got a radiator question

Long story short, my bike has been overheating. My fan was not turning on and coolent was pouring out of my reserve tank.
So far I have replaced:
Oil Cooler O-rings
Water pump O-ring
Replaced Thermo Switch (I grounded the fan and it turned on)
And Thermostat

After all that the fan will still not kick on and water is still pouring out of the bike. The only thing that I have not replaced is the radiator cap, could this be causing my problem?
I feel like I have been dumping money and I have not been able to ride in months.
Please if anyone can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Help me out people, I'm stuck

Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM

bad fan motor switch/ bad fan itself. id try splicing into the switch to see if it will come on with a toggle switch. could also be the water pump, but lets hope not.

Brandon

Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The Radiator Cap can cause it to overheat. A leaking one would also allow coolant to flow into the overflow tank. The Radiator Cap needs to maintain pressure in the system, about 14psi to 16psi. If it leaks, the system will overheat. The added pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I have not been on the site in a couple days cause I'm so pissed off at this bike now

The fan works. I tried grounding it and it went on. I also took the water pump apart and it looked ok on the inside.

When the bike was running, I felt all tubes that house the coolent and all the tubes were hot.

Idodirt, say the cap is bad, would the fan still not be able to turn on? As soon as the temp gets a little over half way on the gauge, I can see coolent running into the overflow bottle.

I hope that is the problem. If not I'm just going to start handing out money cause its doing me no good putting it into this huge paper weight.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 PM

do what i did, just wire up the fan to swith so you can turn it on and off as you please. it solved my problem.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM

I feel like I need to solve the initial problem first, before I start re-wiring things. I'm going to go to autozone today to pick up a new cap and see how that works. If its still messed up then I will try re-wiring the fan.

smokin96,
Do you have a write up on how to re-wire the fan? I'm pretty good with mechanical issues but electrical problems are a whole new world to me. Any advice would be helpful

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM

I dont have a write up, but if you pm me when youre ready ill send you pics and detailed instructions on how to do it. only takes about 10 minutes.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Did you burp your radiator?

Use an OEM radiator cap.I can't emphasize this enough.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

kjohnson,

I burped the radiator per the manual. Let the bike warm up, then snapped the throttle to around 4k a couple of times. I even tried rocking the bike a couple of times to work out any remaining bubbles.

Is the OEM radiator cap make that much of a difference? I'm not sure it will even fix my problem and I'm getting tired throwing money into this bike with no results

Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM

put a cap on it and see. just buy a cheap autozone one to help cut cost and see what happens

Quick Reply: Please Help!! I got a radiator question