CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Planning on Adjusting Valve Clearances

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planning on Adjusting Valve Clearances

I forgot to mention:

MAKE SURE THE BUCKETS GO EXACTLY WHERE THEY CAME FROM!

LABEL EVERYTHING HOWEVER YOU WANT AS LONG AS THE BUCKETS GO BACK IN THE EXACT SPOT THEY WERE REMOVED FROM.

Sorry for the "yelling" and the boldface but it's critical this step is followed or your final measurments are guaranteed to be incorrect.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Thanks Bergs, and I don't think I saw the Y word anywhere... Nice photo's, they're good and clear. It's great to see photos of what you're talking about and not blurry fuzzy kindof photo's.

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 PM

No probon the pics. I had to take good ones as I completelydiassembled that entire bike (sans motor)and posted the project at another board....pics were important.

I don't think I saw the Y word anywhere
Oh it's there.Cam timing is alwaysthe exception. I don't want someonewining atme because they only looked at the pics in the thread and now their bike is broken...LOL

A few other small things:

-If you're going to use the method I mentioned for checking clearance, be sure to notice the slight angle the buckets are sitting at in the head to reference the 90* angle to the cam lobe.

-I remove the plugs before measuring clearances...you're already in there what the heck!....Call me lazy![sm=chairshot.gif]

-Definitely torque the cam retaining caps in the pattern the book says. Should be twotorque settingsgoing tightening in a pattern of some kind.

[sm=signs003.gif]man. You'll be all set.....just don't forget about the **** shivers when you go to hit the "START" button.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Keep us updated and ask anything.

EDIT: added more

Old 12-28-2007, 01:06 AM

yeah definatly keep us updated!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM

So....what was the out come? Success??

Old 01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bergs

So....what was the out come? Success??
Sorry y'all, I haven't even started yet. We're still riding them down here. I was wanting to get information before starting. It'll be a couple of weeks still bofore I start. I'll take photos and post back then.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm planning on doing this myself for my '04 F4i, but I have a quick question. Some other guides mention the #1-4 cylinders. Is the #1 closest to the cam chain (right side when sitting on the bike) or to the left side of the bike? Also, are the cylinders numbered by location or by firing order (i.e. 1234 or 1243)?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for the guide, bergs!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: clegane

I'm planning on doing this myself for my '04 F4i, but I have a quick question. Some other guides mention the #1-4 cylinders. Is the #1 closest to the cam chain (right side when sitting on the bike) or to the left side of the bike? Also, are the cylinders numbered by location or by firing order (i.e. 1234 or 1243)?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for the guide, bergs!
Consult your service manual.

Usually, cylinders are numberedleft to right 1 thru 4 sitting on the bike.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Good work Bergs!!

This thread needs to be moved to the Tech section with a "sticky".

Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I finally order the seal for the cylinder head cover (just in case) as well as the rubber gaskets for the head bolts. I'm currently half way through the process. I'll post some pictures later. I need 4 shims, 2 are the same size that I need and the others are different. The thing that dissappoints me is that none of the Honda dealers around her (there are 4 of them) don't have any of the shims. [:@]Not one for the F3 at all. The thing that irks me is that these shims fit on 42 different models of Honda motorcycles throughout the years. I would have thought that they'd have plenty and wide variety. Oh well, I'll have to order and finish next weekend. Nice thing is we've got 3 bikes, so we can still ride this weekend.I also learned what it is that the Cam Chain Adjuster tool does and how it works . I also created an excel spreadsheet to help keep the math organized for each of the clearances and current shims. As for organizing the lifters and shims, I'm using an egg carton and labeling the inside as to which cylinder and valve they came from.

Quick Reply: Planning on Adjusting Valve Clearances