CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Petcock issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petcock issues

Hi all, I have been looking for info on how to remove my old petcock and install a new one. I don't have an owners manual and I have not found any info online about the exact procedure. I have a 96 f3. I bought it a week ago. When I picked it up there was no leakage, but now all of a sudden there is, and it is getting progressively worse. No one in town can be of any help seeing how most of the shops here won't work on anything that is older than ten years, so I'm going to have to go at this one alone.

If anyone can be of any help, I would definitely appreciate it. This is my first bike and I'm dying to get it back on the road! Also, since the issue with the petcock has started, my bike has started stalling out on me when I am stopped and not giving it any throttle...could that be caused by the faulty petcock?

I have ordered a replacement already so it's on its way.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Talking

For that you could just use a crescent wrench or something like it. Just tip your tank upside down (you'll want all the gas out obviously) and loosen the big nut looking thing under there then pull it right out. Make sure you pull straight out because sometimes the little filter on the outside of the stick part likes to come off. I'll take some pics if you would like? Btw, welcome to the forum and welcome to the motorcycle world!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Yes, pictures would be great! And thank you. I definitely plan on learning as much as I can. The previous owner was a stunter so the bike definitely needs some tlc bodywise, like new plastics and what not, but aside from that and the leak, it runs like a champ.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Alright i'll go get some pics now! No Problem at all. Just glad to help a fellow rider out! My F3 was wrecked and then stunted before i got it so i know what ya mean. Mine is being re-built right now by myself. The frame is totally bare except for some rust protector spray we put on it.. Took her all the way down from a running bike to sandblasted frame so if you need ANY help feel free to PM me or post it up!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Here are some pics. Step by step from left to right. Hope this helps! Oh, and to tell you the truth, it might of just been leaking because of a bad seal between the petcock and the tank.. You probably could of just put a little sealer on it and be fine. But oh well! That's how you learn!

In pic #2, my fingers are on what you need to loosen to take it off.. Good luck!

As far as the stalling, if it happened right when the petcock started leaking like you said, it could of been either leaking too much fuel and starving the cylinders or air could of been getting into the line making the fuel/air mixture way off.

Attached Thumbnails Petcock issues-petcock.jpg   Petcock issues-petcock002.jpg   Petcock issues-petcock003.jpg   Petcock issues-petcock004.jpg  

Last edited by Speedemon636; 06-06-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:16 AM

Sweet. Thanks for the pics. I'm actually not sure when the part will be in, so as far as a quick fix, what kind of sealer could I use to seal it up in the mean time? Also, how could I tell if it was a bad seal issue to begin with? I know that one of the hoses connected to the petcock isn't clamped on the way it's supposed to be. It's clamped way too low, but I don't think that it would be leaking as bad as it is bc of that...would it? I will take a picture of how it sits now, before I head off to work in a bit so you can see what I mean.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:09 PM

in this picture you can see where the hose isn't clamped properly. HPIM0691.jpg?t=1244318782

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Here are a few shots of the bike. The rear is from an 03 600rr and yes, I do ride without gauges...not by choice though HPIM0692.jpg?t=1244319084
HPIM0694.jpg?t=1244319657
HPIM0695.jpg?t=1244319706

Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 AM

Dang that's a pretty wild bike! As far as that hose, you might want to take some pliers and just squeeze the ring on the tabs and move it closer because it looks like it's not even on the spout. It needs to be 1/2 or so between the spout of the petcock and off of it. Looks like gas has been coming out of there, but if your petcock is actually leaking, you can go find a GAS silicone sealer. Make sure it's made for gas because regular sealer would be eaten by the gas. Might fire up the bike and look around for your leak before you do anything really. Good luck!

Last edited by Speedemon636; 06-07-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 AM

The bike is weird looking to me but it gets the job done, lol. So this sealer, how does it work exactly? Is it a spray on type of deal or an additive of some sort that I would mix in with the gas? Just curious...I haven't dealt with anything like this before. I will just head to the parts store first thing in the morning and see what I can find.

Quick Reply: Petcock issues