CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Painting plastics

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like orange peel, last coat was too dry. i would wet sand til smooth, then recoat as per previous comments. like bandaid said, I to have used the can in the hot water trick. it does make a difference in the spraying. also, be sure to get the spray can that has the fan tip, not the round one. it must be a canadian thing....
But in saying that, if the headlight surround is the only piece to paint, then it wont matter too much in regards to the spray pattern. the fan pattern is important to achieve good results on a big piece where it will take several passes to cover the surface.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 AM

ya i have the fan tip kind, the can says its made for painting plastics, and is a gloss black, and then i have a clear coat can. when i wet sand it should i put another black coat on then like 3 clear coats?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM

i would suggest 3 coats of black, and then clear. be sure you like the finish on the black before you clear it. the clear wont fix the mistakes in the paint.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by millertyme
i would suggest 3 coats of black, and then clear. be sure you like the finish on the black before you clear it. the clear wont fix the mistakes in the paint.
ok ill post some pics up when im done, i really appreciate the help

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM

the hk fairing is on the left in the top pic and the one i just painted is in the middle, just put the last clear coat on it

and in the bottom pic my painted fairing is on the left, im happy with it for the most part, it might not be as shiny but its close. what do you guys think??
i really appreciate the help from everyone, it made this a lot easier

Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job btw, looks nice!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody will notice at all cept some squid that wishes his rattlecanned for the nth time gixxer cause he can't keep the rubber side down looked that good.

Hell, I can't believe you got it looking that good with a rattlecan myself

Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 PM

well i worked that hard and took all the time to paint that just to find out that it doesnt really fit. so i had to use the other one. but i threw it all together today, just have a few more accessories left, and ill throw up a butt load of pics for everyone thats been anticipating my unveiling lol

Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM

hope to see your pics soon. Looks good from what i have seen. Makes a person appreciate your bike a little more, when you do the work yourself.
great job again

Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM

While I am here. a question and maybe a suggestion for you. Why did you replace your fairings in the first place? If they are not destroyed... practice fixing/painting them. I myself am working on a second set, If anyone else has taken the plastics off an f3 they know it only takes an hour and a bit.. so you can have a whole different bike every other week if you want.

Just a thought..

Quick Reply: Painting plastics