CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Painting plastics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting plastics

ok so i bought the fairings from hong kong and the headlight fairing fits horribly so im taking my old one which happens to be undamaged, but i cant get it to be really shinny like the rest? any suggestions??
this is the huge space in the hong kong fairing http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5845/headlightg.jpg

Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could contact them and get them to fix it/send you another one?

You are going to need quite a few highquality clear coats.. but yea you can do it...
maybe make the center a different color... aka red... and make the other things on your bike like the bar ends and brake/clutch levers red...
or make a stripe down your bike..

Trying to match the exact black/glass might be hard.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM

I am sooooo glad I opted not to buy non OEM fairings. I opted to fix mine instead and I must say, they look almost new. The paint I used wasn't the greatest, Rustoleum, but from 10ft. you can't tell the difference. You can't go wrong with OEM fairings. They will always fit.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High shine is a matter of prep and polish. After you've laid your basecoat and let it dry, you want to wetsand it, starting with about 1200 grit. Basically trying to get the basecoat as smooth as possible.

Clear coat, you'll want to lay some extra coats because you'll be doing the same plus a little more. So the extra coats are so you don't burn thru. Wetsand the clear coat starting with 1200 grit and work your way up to about 2000 grit. Once you've done that, you'll want to use a rubbing compound on it like 3M Rubbing Compound. Then wax and go.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM

i would only wet sanding the base coat if there are runs or excessive dust in the paint. ask anyone who paints b/c, and they will tell you that the base goes on like primer and dries to a matt finish. if you let it dry for more than an hour or so, you will have to wet sand and then go with the clear. it is recommended to do all the steps at once, so all the layers of paint and clear will bond the way they are designed. The shine all comes from the clear coat. I would NOT wet sand the base if there is a metal flake in it, as it may distort the metallic.
also, the HK fairings may have a pearl in the clear, and that may be difficult to reporduce. If you want to get it as exact as possible, go to a parts store, and have a picture taken of the part - most part stores that mix paint have a camera which allows the exact formula to be calculated to get an exact match.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by millertyme
i would only wet sanding the base coat if there are runs or excessive dust in the paint. ask anyone who paints b/c, and they will tell you that the base goes on like primer and dries to a matt finish. if you let it dry for more than an hour or so, you will have to wet sand and then go with the clear. it is recommended to do all the steps at once, so all the layers of paint and clear will bond the way they are designed. The shine all comes from the clear coat. I would NOT wet sand the base if there is a metal flake in it, as it may distort the metallic.
also, the HK fairings may have a pearl in the clear, and that may be difficult to reporduce. If you want to get it as exact as possible, go to a parts store, and have a picture taken of the part - most part stores that mix paint have a camera which allows the exact formula to be calculated to get an exact match.
Listen to this guy. he knows..... I am an autobody tech/painter. Have been for a long time. I would agree completely with all but the camera. It will give you a very very close match, but not exact.
But the earlier comment on waxing??? I am not sure why you would wax new paint? if you get a run, or an unsightly dust nib..(in the clear not the base)... its sanded and power polished, not waxed. but I am from canada so my opinion may not count

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bandaid
Listen to this guy. he knows..... I am an autobody tech/painter. Have been for a long time. I would agree completely with all but the camera. It will give you a very very close match, but not exact.
But the earlier comment on waxing??? I am not sure why you would wax new paint? if you get a run, or an unsightly dust nib..(in the clear not the base)... its sanded and power polished, not waxed. but I am from canada so my opinion may not count
Your opinon counts... so long as you follow it with the stereotypical Canadian 'Eh'

Was told to follow up the rubbing compound with something as it'll leave a haze. And I'm not using power tools (can't justify another tool purchase to the gf) so routines a lil different I guess.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 PM

ok first off i would send it back or ask for them to send another BUT moto-777 has just ignored me and is taking my money and running after 45 days you cant file a dispute so while i was waiting for the fairings they were sending me it passed 45days and i ended up being screwed. made me realize i cant trust people in honk kong ****in douchebags. i wish i coulda just saved the oem fairings, now i had to buy jb weld to fix some stuff.

but anyway back to the painting, i sanded it down pretty good, slapped a base coat of black on it, and put a few more coats of black on it, then finally i put a few coats of clear coat on it but it didnt match up to the really shiny fairings from hk. so you guys are saying i need to wet sand the base coat then put the clear coat on it? i mean its such a small piece should i just take it to some paint shop so they can clear coat it really quick? time is important cause its about to be really nice and im not going another week without riding.
all input is really appreciated, i know i wrote a lot

Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig84
ok first off i would send it back or ask for them to send another BUT moto-777 has just ignored me and is taking my money and running after 45 days you cant file a dispute so while i was waiting for the fairings they were sending me it passed 45days and i ended up being screwed. made me realize i cant trust people in honk kong ****in douchebags. i wish i coulda just saved the oem fairings, now i had to buy jb weld to fix some stuff.

but anyway back to the painting, i sanded it down pretty good, slapped a base coat of black on it, and put a few more coats of black on it, then finally i put a few coats of clear coat on it but it didnt match up to the really shiny fairings from hk. so you guys are saying i need to wet sand the base coat then put the clear coat on it? i mean its such a small piece should i just take it to some paint shop so they can clear coat it really quick? time is important cause its about to be really nice and im not going another week without riding.
all input is really appreciated, i know i wrote a lot
no contact paypal.
they will hold the entire amount from moto-777 until they address your claim.
shipping time doesn't count.

you have a green light on that matter.
seen it happen several times before.

paypal loves the buyer, not the seller.
don't give up.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
no contact paypal.
they will hold the entire amount from moto-777 until they address your claim.
shipping time doesn't count.

you have a green light on that matter.
seen it happen several times before.

paypal loves the buyer, not the seller.
don't give up.
i wish that were the case. but its not, i contacted pay pal twice after the first time i told them- i was pissed and i think its retarded that after 45 days i cant get my money back after i was waiting for shipping. (i said a lot more and with unkind words) anyway they emailed me back this time and said they were sorry but i still had some options, i could call the seller directly(idk Chinese or whatever so thats out of the question) or i could put a police report in with my local police(as if that would do anything) and something about the post office and the fbi blah blah im sure it would all do nothing
so im left out in the snow

Quick Reply: Painting plastics