CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil light!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by lsybert
ok, I didn't pre fill the new filter but I started it up again for another 10 seconds and it still didnt go off. Could It be the oil that is making this problem...... this is the first time I am putting synthetic in the bike since I got it. its got about 20,000 on it
There's not a chance that the oil's the cause of the problem, unless you just forgot to put it in. You either have a real oil pressre problem, or you have an electrical problem.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idodirt
There's not a chance that the oil's the cause of the problem, unless you just forgot to put it in. You either have a real oil pressre problem, or you have an electrical problem.

thank you.

Exactly.... do an oil pressure test to eliminate the possibility of engine damage.... if the oil pressure is within spec..(which means the mechanical portion of your bike is WORKING) start looking at the electrical system.

-Lee

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Well......... the oil was the problem. I checked the wiring of the oil light and everything else. I finally dumped the oil and put in the previous oil I was using (Mobil conventional). started it up and the oil light went off. Do you think my oil pump has warn out to the point where it can not push full synthetic anymore?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Were you using AUTOMOTIVE synthetic? That could cause a pressure problem, just from the viscosity difference.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Were you using AUTOMOTIVE synthetic? That could cause a pressure problem, just from the viscosity difference.
what is a good synthetic oil for F3's?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM

As I said:

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Honda reccomends using Honda Synthetic 4-stroke oil with the CBR600 F3, so I'd have to trust their judgement on that.
"4-stroke" is NOT the same as "Automotive." 4-stroke is like a boat motor, or high-end lawn mower.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lsybert
Well......... the oil was the problem. I checked the wiring of the oil light and everything else. I finally dumped the oil and put in the previous oil I was using (Mobil conventional). started it up and the oil light went off. Do you think my oil pump has warn out to the point where it can not push full synthetic anymore?
I've never seen a difference in oil cause the oil light to come on (that doesn't mean it couldn't). In looking at the synthetic oil that you just drained out, did it look significantly different than the oil you originally drained. I would think that this "BAD" oil would have to be something like gasoline before it would cause the oil light to stay on.

In fact I know of a member on this forum that used Diesel Fuel (thats right, not Diesel Oil) inside his engine in place of his oil as an engine flush. He ran his engine for 15 minutes on tic over before draining and putting the regular oil in his bike. His oil light was not on except for the split second when he started it. Now if Diesel Fuel isn't more viscus than any car oil, I don't know what is.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Now if Diesel Fuel isn't more viscus than any car oil, I don't know what is.

That's what I was getting at; 4-stroke is LESS viscous than automotive, so it would create a pressure that EXCEEDS spec, and trigger the light from that side.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, not exactly... the oil pressure switch only detects a lack of pressure, not an over pressure situation. A less viscus fluid would offer less resistance to being pumped throughout the engine, thereby producing less pressure in the line.

BTW, these engines are 4 stroke you know... right...

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 AM

I know ***EVERYTHING***

Quick Reply: Oil light!!!!