CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

No Power to fuel pump HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power to fuel pump HELP!

So i stripped my bike down over the last few weeks and rebuilt it all back up
i left the loom untouched and the engine apart from removing the carbs and airbox to get the engine out
yesterday i rebuilt the bike up
i have not put the chain or sprockets on
i have not put the headlight on
and i have not filled with water
however i have put the all the tank etc on filled with fuel

I tested the bike to see if it would fire up but it just turns over there is no fuel getting in to the engine.
i unplugged the fuel pump and tested the conection and there is no power getting to the fuel pump
i tested the pump on a battery and that works so i am guessing there is something else that is maybe triggering the relay or something to stop it letting power to the pump???

Really want to get back on the road as its looking saweet!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Have you checked fuses?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM

i did have a blown fuse the one nearest the back out of the 4 which i believe to be the fuel pump one i replace it and its still not working

i dont get it i have power at the relay
i have power at the fuse
but none at the pump

i think its not getting past the relay

Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Long
i did have a blown fuse the one nearest the back out of the 4 which i believe to be the fuel pump one i replace it and its still not working

i dont get it i have power at the relay
i have power at the fuse
but none at the pump

i think its not getting past the relay
i had the same problem. make sure the relay is sitting in the right spot. i guess it has the sensor that tells the fuel pump to shutoff if the bike is laid over. i pulled mine off tapped it very easy replaced it back in its holder up front and worked like a charm. if that sensor thinks the bike is on its side it will not send power to the pump. good luck let us know when you get it up and going

Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM

that could very well be it! as it is currently just resting in the back tray as i havent put the wiring in the correct place at the back yet i will try tomorrow as its late here now and no exhaust on the bike would be a little loud

will report back tomorrow!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The fuel pump on F3's only gets power when the engine is running, or turning over. This makes it difficult to restart the bike when the carbs have been rebuilt and the bowls are empty. Use the method you used to test the pump while it's connected to the fuel lines. That way you'll get the carbs filled with fuel. After the engine is running, you'll see that the pump works fine. That relay is a solid state relay and doesn't have any moving parts, so there is nothing to thump or bump. There is also no sensor in it telling it the bike is in the upright position. Only Fuel Injected bikes have that feature.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 AM

i have tried the relay and i think the above is right.

I heard it almost fire and the battery is dead so its on charge now hoping it fires later

i have also come across this on the floor near where i took the bike apart im not 100% sure its off the bike but maybe one of you recognises it?

Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 4518
Size:  146.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 4570
Size:  148.3 KB

looks like as its metal it would complete a circut maybe?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

ignore that last bit that part is off the rear brake

so UPDATE

I have had the bike up to about 1000 rpm but i think only on 1 cylinder
if i start the bike with full choke it gets to about 500rpm and it backfires a bit
i am getting spark however i think the fuel maybe not putting enough into the cylinders
i tried taking the airbox off and tank and just using some easy start and it backfired and gets up to 500rpm also however now its just blown the carbs off on 2 of the bits that join them to the engine underneath i think i did not do them up tight enough

tomorrow i dont know where to start other than tighten the carbs down

i dont have a clue what is causing this!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 PM

this damn bike is p*ssing me off now i just want to ride the damn thing!
have booked it into a garage next tuesday is the earliest they can look at it so i have till then to find a miracle cure

did not touch it today as its stressing me out!

how much would the 2 intake manifold rubber things effect the bike starting by them being slightly loose?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM

UPDATE:

so after trying everything i could think of i left the bike for a day and went back to it today.

some new coils and leads turned up only for me to notice that the right coil does 1 and 4 and i had no1 on no3 so had leads on the wrong way around DOH!

after kicking myself for being so stupid i put them the right way around hit the start button and she fired up straight away!!! so shes alive!

after me buying a fuel pump repair kit on ebay as well so i think i will just hang on to it as spares as my fuel pump contacts did look very worn down.

pics to come of it when the fairings are all back on

Quick Reply: No Power to fuel pump HELP!