CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Newbie w/a new project F3

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear there aren't any hangups to doing whatever you want w/ it.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone wants my info about the F4I piston and cam swap. I was going to use the F4I pistons but didn't in the end. I ended up finding a Wiseco kit for real cheap. I did install and take measurements with the F4I pistons but never ran. Comparing those measurements to the Wiseco measurements, everything checked out fine. For you to do the cam swap you only need one cam from a F4I and cam degree gears.

The engine ran great and pulled like crazy. It did blow up last Sept. The little clips that hold the wrist pin in place came out on one side of the #2 piston. Causing the wrist pin to slide and wobble. Looking at the damage, the groove on the wiseco piston is to blame. The rod broke into 3 pieces and come out behind the starter. I'll try to post pictures up later.

I have a new block and plan on doing all the mods again. Only this time using the F4I piston. After having my own problem with wiseco pistons and stories from other people I won't use them again.

Here is a list but not everything done to the motor.

2mm over bore
F4I cam
Slotted cam gears
Lightened and balanced crankshaft
Race jets
Race clutch fiction plates
adjustable timing advance.

Valve timing numbers

You think I'm going to tell you right now.

I'm getting the last parts together to start building the engine again. Once I do, go into more detail.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM

CM,
Thanks for posting up!
Being the bike I have is not running and I have no idea what abuse it received prior to being crashed and left as I found it, I believe anything short of a total engine tear down is a waste of time. Things need to be sorted out and the condition of the tranny, bottom end and overall motor health need to be ascertained. That being said I believe if I am going that far into the motor a good valve job and a bore might as well be done at that time. I saw the write up on your bike and have read then others asking about the piston swap. I think the compression increase vs. the cost difference between the Wiseco/F4i pistons makes the F4i set up a no brainer. The amount of HP increase you get in an additional 1 +/- point of compression is marginal and I believe the extra chamber volume from the 2 mm overbore combined with the enhanced camming/degree would give that increase or close to it anyway. Add in the ignition advance and you then should have more usable torque which is a better for the track. I appreciate you noting your piston failure. It only makes the F4i swap that much more a optimal piece of home brew engineering. I'll be looking forward to your additional posts on the subject.
I see a guy in my club(CMRA) has done a bunch of mods on another F3 and hope to pick his brain. I need to have this bike ready for the coming season as my first meet is in April. I'm looking for parts now and if anyone knows of a good place to source good quality swingarm, fork and wheel bearings/bushings/seals please let me know. would appreciate it!
and one more thing. As far as the carbs and exhaust. Is the entire exhaust system on my bike aftermarket or just the cannister? As mentioned earlier if the carbs were rejetted how do I know for sure?
Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM

I lucked out when I found the Wiseco kit last time. It was nos from a closing machine shop. I only paid $100 at the time. Easiest way to tell if your carbs is jetted or not is by 2 things. The stock needles have no adjustment steps and aftermarket have 5 notches. The other is the number stamped on the main jets. As for the exhaust, I'd need a pic of the midpipe to header connection.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by soonerbillz
CM,
Is the entire exhaust system on my bike aftermarket or just the cannister
headers are definitely aftermarket, they look the same as my two bro's headers, but would need a better pic to know for sure.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM

I looked at some of the use stockers for sale on Ebay and they are not at all similar to mine. I ordered a net of F4i pistons today and will hunt down the other parts shortly. Sometime this week or next I will start the teardown. Got to make some room first.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 PM

It's been a while so I thought I'd give a little update.

I did pull the motor and the shop doing my work has it now. I spent the last few weeks gathering some parts.. I was lucky to find a guy selling off parts from a former track bike. Got a lot of very good parts and enough spares to help for the season.
I have so much going on it's tough to find the time to get things done but I am doing what I can when possible.
A lot of items that i won't be using on the track will be up for grabs if any one needs them. Shoot me a pm if there is something you want or need. Keep in mind i will be keeping anything I can use again for a track bike.
Some of the really nice finds are the Traxxion built forks, the Penske shock and the extra wheels , Pretty much I got another bike worth of parts. Another complete frame, Some nice Vortex clip on's and a box full of different ratio sprockets... some aluminum and some steel. More than enough for the season and to gear up for the different tracks.
I got all the electrics and various other bits needed to sort out this project too!
I also picked up a set race fairings that need a little tlc. They are not too bad and I mocked them up on the bike before I pulled the motor. Everything looked good and now I know what work I need to do to get them fitted and how I want the brackets need to be. I got a custom upper front fairing/gauge bracket as well. I really want to get the bike set up with the F4i gauges so I guess that will be another thing to get squared away.
I also bought another motor too. It has been worked over somewhat or so the fellow I got it from said. It has some nice race ccase covers, a (what I was told ) D.I.D. header. The motor supposedly has been rejetted and set up for race fuel. Supposed to be a good runner as is. I am going to put this motor in and see if it is as such while I get the original finished.

I am selling some shirts to raise cash for the season if anyone is interested. I designed the logo and have all the sizes you need and they come in white or black. Also have embroidered polos in black too!

I posted a couple of choice pics and here is the link to see all of the parts I have accumulated so far!

Photos | Photobucket's Top Collections of Pictures & Images

Name:  IMG721_zps6537697d.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  IMG719_zps925bd475.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  005_zpsaf99fa89.jpg
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  001_zps6ce9c52d.jpg