CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

newbie... just fine till it tipped, now it sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie... just fine till it tipped, now it sucks!

well i've just got my first bike ever yesterday and its a 96 cbr600 F3. It ran fine to my friends house and everything else. Until.... my buddy tipped it over (DAMN!!!) and i think the carb got flooded....? so i just let the bike burn out the extra fuel and it started right up again but it shuts off now because my buddy (again) messed with the idle adjuster screw (next to the pitchcock) till it came off and now its in my hands and now the bike only starts when its in full choke. If i were to give it more gas and/or turn off the choke it'll shutoff again. why? i'm really lost since i'm really new to bikes and confused because it was perfectly fine then the next frustrating. what could be the culprit? and how much would it cost? well thanks in advance! i need help ASAP before i resort to taking it to the dealer...

Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Default RE: newbie... just fine till it tipped, now it sucks!

damn thats why you dont let friends that duno how to ride take your bike. i duno what that problem would be. are you goin to make him pay for the damages. try taking out your spark plugs first and maybe it dry it out if it is flooded.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 AM

welcome to the forum kaoliu. i don't know too much about your problem but i do know you need to keep your friend away from your bike from now on...

good luck with everthing and hope it's an easy fix!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:34 AM

You should be able to just put it back on, there should have been a screw in the center of the ****.

Just try screwing it back on there.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-23-2006, 04:23 AM

Hey dude,

That happened to me a week after i got my f3!! I actually was messing with the idle screw myself. and it popped off.. YOU CAN put it together yourself if you feel like taking out the gas tank and the air box.. Otherwise, do what i did, and take it to the shop for a full tune up.. cost you around 300 dollars or just put the idle back on will cost no more than 1 hour of labor(depends on the shop you take it to). And about the choke... the only way your bike will stay idling is if the idle screw is on and intact. The otherwise, when taking it to the shop you have to keep the throttle rolled on around 2 rpms... MEANING you gotta keep it rolled even on stop lights to get it to the shop. Sorry to hear about your buddy.. ANYWAYS WELCOME to the FORM, and I'M a newbie too just bought my bike in JAN. I love it...

Mike

Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 AM

damn i feel so loved here! lol j/p but damn you guys are really helpful... well heres the thing now.... i was able to keep it running with the throttle rolled to keep it from shutting off.... rode it down the block and it shut off on me! now if i were to give it a lil throttle... it'll just shut off on me and in order for it to start i would have to have it on full choke! why? choke off= shutoff & throttle on= shutoff!
hey CBRider206, was there suppose to be a spring and nut with the cable or does it just screw in next to where the carb is? i think i see where it goes, but i cant get it to screw in.... and i've looked at a manual and it shows that there's suppose to be a spring and nut that'll hold it...? damn i'm so frustrated! but hey! how much would it cost for a full tune up and fix my prob? give me a est. thanks again yal!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Well, When i popped mine off i found the washer and the spring that came out with it also... and hey, i looked for 2 hours trying to figure out where it goes, even took off the gas tank.. didnt bother with the air box because it was raining when I was trying to do it, so i got frustrated and just took it to the shop, Now the shop I GO to charges 60 dollars an hour for labor, and the tune up is a 3 hour job most of the time.. so I was looking at 200 for labor, plus I had them put synthetic oil, check the spark plugs, clean the carbs, etc. It cost me roughly 320 or so..

ABOUT THE CHOKE, You want to try limiting using your choke to keep your bike running, I had to find out the hard way because I left my choke on overnight and flooded my carbs.. Not a pretty thing, but it did back fire when I started my bike and sounded like an M-80 going off and with the flames firing out my exhaust made quite a show... haha SO i shall warn you, if you get your bike to the shop, then i RECOMMEND not using the choke... If it cuts off on you just feed it more gas.. Are you making sure your fuel supply valve is at the ON position when you roll the throttle? Might sound simple, but i always forget to turn it on... suchs when your on the freeway and have to pull over to turn it back on.. Anyways, hey, let me know whats up and how it went

Old 03-23-2006, 04:28 PM

that happened to my hubby's bike. Brand new from the show room floor, a week later, one of his co-workers sat on the bike (when my hubby wasnt around)and dropped it...1000.00 later out of his co-workers pocket, the bike was fixed. Sucks homie, I feel your pain.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Yep, that sucks!

Old 03-24-2006, 04:45 AM

well after two hours and a few minutes scratching my head... i actually got the cable to screw in! without the spring and nut too! after that i was excited to put everything back... tried starting it but it didnt work then was about to take the tank off again but it kinda started so i put the tank hoses back again and started cranking it then it started.... but it was weird.... if i were to give it a lil throttle it would hesitate to rev and it died out in like 3 minutes.... then i switched to the resereve valve then it started right up perfectly! wow! funny.. i just got the bike no longer than 3 hours then i messed up on me and sat at my friends garage for two days.... gosh you cant imagine how bumbed out i was at work... i was basically just moping around hoping for the day to end so i can fix the bike.. lol well thanks yal for the support! much love back at cha!