CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

newbe

Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking newbe

hey guys im a newbe when it somes to bikes i dont have one yet not till the end of the year i was told that the F3 was a good starter bike and im just looking for some feed back if any of yall could help me out it would be awsome thanks..
Mr.Carrabba

Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 PM

The bike to start with depends on your personality. If you are wreckless or slow to pick up on things physically, then I would start with a slower bike. If you can pick up things quick, and respect the fact that you are on a machine that can put you in a world of hurt in the blink of an eye, then any CBR 600 is a good starter bike. F3s are nice because they are cheap and reliable. So are F2s but F3s come a little bit more better equipped for the track.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Tell us a little about yourself. What kind of riding do you expect to do ? What's happening between now and the end of the year ? Have you done any kind of riding on a motorcycle before ?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Talking thanks

thanks guys for the feed back well im 23 with a wife and 7 month old baby so safty is my main goal im not looking at acting stupid and trying to impress anyone its just not me i just want to ride with my older brother whos in the army just road trips you know the joy of the ride. im also the head chef at Carrabbas in Baton Rouge so all in all i feel like im a quick learner more of a hand on learner. well if anyone has any more info to give me either about rideing courses or safty classes im all ears looking for all the info i can get thanks guys.
Mr.Carrabba

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM

I never had any experience, never even touched a dirt bike, but started on 600 F2. It is not recommended, but like I said, respecting the bike and its ability vs your ability is a big part of riding.

How long of roadtrips are you looking to make? Sport bikes are very uncomfortable. I can only ride about 2hours on my F2 before I start getting sore. If I were you I would go for comfort and I am not sure what are the most comfy bikes out there. I do know that any CBR "RR" bike will probably be very uncomfortable because they are geared more for the track rather than cruising around.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM

If you're looking for road trips and just milling about and enjoying the ride, I'd reccomend you steer clear of sport bikes in general. Get a nice VTX or something. I've got an '81 Goldwing that rides like a couch!

CBR's are for going short distances very fast. Sure, you can put around on them, but after a couple of hours your back, butt, knees and wrists are gonna be very upset with you. If you want to go long distances at a moderate pace, get a cruiser. If you want to go long distances very fast, get a more powerful cruiser. I took my F3 about 2.5 hours out for the past holiday, and while the kushy tank bag and lambskin seat cover were of immense help, my back and neck were killing me the next morning.

The F3 was my frist bike, and I wiped out on that thing quite a few times before I really got a handle on how easy it is to twitch the wrong way and end up in a ditch. Granted, mine was tweaked beyond factory spec, but even at stock config, giving this thing a handful of throttle is WAY more terrorizing than doing it to, say, a Harley. Not a good bike if you're skittish.

As far as safety: So long as the bike is properly maintained and operated, no bike is less safe than the others. Safety depends 100% on the rider. Operate the bike in a responsible, and fluid manner (ESPECIALLY in sudden situations), and always wear helmet, gloves, boots and leathers. Something with armor if you're doing high speeds.

As far as safety courses: This isn't even a question. This is something you MUST do. There is such an immense amount taught in these classes that you will never just "eventually pick up on through experience." It still boggles my mind that states will issue motorcycle endoresements without requiring these.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-06-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Carrabba
thanks guys for the feed back well im 23 with a wife and 7 month old baby so safty is my main goal im not looking at acting stupid and trying to impress anyone its just not me i just want to ride with my older brother whos in the army just road trips you know the joy of the ride. im also the head chef at Carrabbas in Baton Rouge so all in all i feel like im a quick learner more of a hand on learner. well if anyone has any more info to give me either about rideing courses or safty classes im all ears looking for all the info i can get thanks guys.
Mr.Carrabba
Hey man, I'm in Baton Rouge and I have an F3 I'm looking to sell for $2500. If you want your welcome to come check it out even if you don't want to buy it to get an idea of what its like. PM me and I'll hook you up with my phone number.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Talking

thanks again for the feed back my brother has a 2009 yamaha R6 so its mostly just crusing in the city just something fun but im am also going to get a cruser for the long road trips with my pops. thanks guys im glad to know that there are people out there that are willing to help out you know some people just say figure it out but yall have been a real help thanks to all

Mr.Carrabba

Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyx

CBR's are for going short distances very fast. Sure, you can put around on them, but after a couple of hours your back, butt, knees and wrists are gonna be very upset with you.
See, now that's where I disagree with you.

IMO
The F3's riding position is not nearly as agressive as the RR's these days. At cruising speed, there's enough wind to take the pressure off of your wrists. My wife and I often take long trips and ride for hours a day. Sure, your butt gets a little sore, but don't kid yourself, thats going to happen on any bike. Considering though that you're most likely going to need fuel between 160 and 180 miles, that will give you an opportunity to stretch a little before getting back on. From S. Florida, my wife and I have ridden (rode ?) to Knoxville, TN for the Honda Hoot in 2006, in 2007 we rode to Deals Gap and other locations in the area, in 2008 we rode to Indianapolis, IN for the Inagural MotoGP, and in August of this year we're repeating that trip. People will look at you funny going those distances, but it's a lot of fun. I say if you want to take trips on an F3.... go for it.

Headed out to Indy...
Name:  DSC03329.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  101.2 KB

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Talking

the way i feel about it is just deal with it as long as ur having fun its what ever thats what god made pit stops for you know thanks for the feed back.
Mr.Carrabba