CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

NEW QUESTION: Timing Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW QUESTION: Timing Troubleshooting

OK I believe I have a serious timing problem with my bike, it wont start and when i try it has backfired a fire ball. It was running fine the day before it happened. Is it possible my timing belt or chain may have broken? If so, how can I check this? How do I trouble shoot a timing problem...I tried to find info on the manual but it doesnt troubleshoot timing....where do I start experts?[&o]

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned
Default RE: NEW QUESTION: Timing Troubleshooting

Well if you really want to take a quick peek - you can remove your CCT and peek inside with a flashlight. You should be able to see your chain at least there.

You could have teeth broken off of the gears inside on your crank or cam drive. I dunno...

Take a peek inside!

And actually, I'd be interested in finding out how to check the timing. Is it similar to a car, like a timing gun or what? I have no clue...

Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM

FYI:these bikes have a chain, not a belt...and I have seen only one break in my 13 years of tinkering with bikes...unless you had a bad tensioner for along timeI doubt your's is broken. does the engine seem to crank really fast...?

Bikes also don't have "timing" in the way a car engine does...no real moving parts, no adjustment to speak of....so there is nothing to set like you do with a light in a car....though an inductive pick up light woudl "work"...there is nothing to reference like on a car engine....and oil would be barfing out on the floor with the engine cover off....

Usually with carbureted bikes problems are fuel related.....

Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 AM

Yeah I have a manual tensioner and Im always on top of it so it wasnt that. I guess Ill try to take of the cam tensioner and see if the chain is there. I still havent checked my plugs, willdo that too in case they got fouled....Ill keep you posted with what I find, thanks guys

Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Well it turned out that there was nothing major going on with my baby. What happened is that I turned the bike on with the choke on max, but then about 30 seconds later I turned itoff to check the fuel level but left the choke on..this caused my plugs to get very very soaked so thats why it wouldnt start. All I did was remove spark plugs, clean them well, slap back on, and BROOOM BROOOM BROOOOOOOM god I love that sound
I can never get used to taking off those damn plugs, they are such a pain in the BLEEP