CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New member, looking for some answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, looking for some answers

okay well i got a 96 600 for a pretty good deal i think, high miles 58k but it ran good when i got it about a month ago...now due to the high miles idk what has been or needs to be replaced but my current problem is

lately my bike is having what i believe is carb issues, when im riding and i pull the clutch the rpms dont drop until i slow to a stop like in 4th gear at maybe 5k rpms if i pull the clutch in it stays at around 4-5k until i get under 30-25mph then it slowly drops

im 90% sure the carbs need a complete cleaning since the high miles but i was wondering what other people might think

and as for a recommendation...idk how much rebuild kits for my carbs are but would it be okay to give them a real good cleaning through everything or should i probably rebuild

i found this link that i think ill try out
let me know what you guys think

http://www.musclecross.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113

Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, I'd say that you're on the right track. There's a pretty good chance the carbs haven't been cleaned in a long time, or if at all. Cleaning them is not hard to do, so don't hesitate to do it yourself. There is a solinoid that switches the air flow to the carbs at around 12mph. It's possible that this may not be functioning correctly, but I'd go with the carb cleaning first. On taking the carbs apart, having a screwdriver that fits the screw heads well is important. These screws have a tendency to be tight and difficult to remove. The gasket that is around the float bowl is glued into place with rubber cement from the factory. I suspect that most people don't replace it, but just reuse it. Get a couple or 3 cans of carburetor cleaner. That stuff is amazing at removing the fuel varnish that builds up on them. The down side is that it's not good for the gaskets and O rings. Try not to get too much of the cleaner on the ones you're going to re-use. It's not necessary to take the carbs apart from each other. They can be left on the rail. Get 4 cups or containers that you can put the parts from each of the carbs in to keep the parts from one carb from another. They should go back into the one they came out of. Getting a quality synchronizer is a good investment. If you plan to ride for years to come, then over time that tool will pay for itself.

Good luck, and if you have additional questions, just post up and we'll see if we can help. Pictures are alway nice, clear ones are the best.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure ill post some pics up when i get it done, the only thing im infy about is cleaning the diaphram area and front air bleed jets that part i dont really understand from the guide

" Be carefull to allign the needle back in the hole when reinstalling the diaphrams."

as well as that part... it will probably make more sense when i get in there but really dont wanna mess anything up