CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New Chain and Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Chain and Sprocket

Hey guys, I need a new chain for my bike and have a few questions. Firstly do I need to get a new sprocket set too? Mine are fine but Ive heard its best just to change them both at the same time. Also, are there any brands I should stay clear of? I do not need anything fancy, I don't race or beat on my bike, but then again I don't want to be replacing it again next year. Finally, is it worth doing myself or should i just take it somewhere and let them do the work? Id prefer to take it to a shop with school and work keeping me busy. If so, does anyone know what to expect for parts and labor when it comes to price?

ANY help at all would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing:
Yes it's recommended to change the sprockets at the same time. You don't want the old sprockets to wear the new chain prematurely.

a 530 chain with steel sprockets will give you the most life. Aluminum sprockets or a lighter chain won't give you any gains based on what you state is your riding style. And they will have you looking to replace them quicker. Dunno anything about brands tho

Do you have a chain breaker & riveter? If not, forget a DIY. You could break the old chain by cutting it with something. And you could use a clipon master link. But I wouldn't do either. If you do take it to the shop though, bring your own Vaseline. It might cut down on the cost of the impending rape. The previous owner of my bike showed me a receipt for replacing her chain. $300. Considering I could get the same chain + sprockets off Ebay brand new (meaning the seller was profiting somehow) for $150, I have to assume the shop charged her $150 in labor.

I do have a chain breaker and riveter. It took me 30 mins and most of that time was fumbling around trying to keep the master link aligned to press it. And I had never done it before

Last edited by Kuroshio; 09-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RK makes a master link that doesn't require a riveter. It uses threaded bolts to create the pressure necessary to flatten the rivets out, and it works with most chains. I got mine off ebay for like $6. I broke the chain by just drilling the rivet points out. No need to buy tools for something you'll almost never do.

But, yeah, it's required (not just reccomended) that you replace the chain and sprockets all at once. Stay away fdrom anything aluminum, as it will wear out way faster, Vortex especially. Honestly, the Honda OEM chains last for freakin' ever, but they're heavy as hell. If you just want another chain that will last you that long, go with Honda.