CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Never Ending Bike Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Ending Bike Problems

So with all the help i got on here i had my bike running great. I parked it for a week waiting for some parts to come in. In that time i changed the plugs and the oil. After i changed the plugs and oil i took it for a ride and it was running 100 times better than before. now i just went to start it after 3 days of sitting and its running like crap again. right away i could smell unburnt gas and it had smoke coming out of the exhaust. it will idle on its own but won't get up and go more than 20MPH before it dies. i let it idle for a little while to warm up so i could see which cylinder isn't firing and i noticed smoke is coming out from the front of the engine. i tracked it down to the header and down pipe and its leaking gas out of the exhaust causing smoke off the engine. now what? bad coils? wires? if i change the coils and wires is there anything else that could cause 1 cylinder not to fire? and yes i checked all the plugs again and plug wires to make sure everything was connected first.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Default RE: Never Ending Bike Problems

You should bring that thing over some time... two heads better than one?!?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM

If you have a garage, or someplace dark, you can mist water all over your plug wires and surrounding are with a spray bottle. Turn off the lights, start the bike and look for arcing from the plug wires. You might have a plug wire with split insulation that is grounding out somewhere, causing a loss of spark to the plug.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM

i was thinking i am just going to swap for new plug wires and coils. not take the chance of missing something. i got this bike so cheap i am not suprized its having issues

Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

my only other problem is i don't have my trailer anymore to take it anywhere. i need to go to harbor freight and get a new one. what side of town do you live on?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

I am off of Blue Diamond and Durango. Harbor Freight rocks! I think you are def having an ignition/spark problem. Especially if there is raw fuel dripping from the exhaust. What happens if you reach in a move the plug wires around a bit, then start it?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM

you know when i put the plug wires back on i saw that they didn't lay all the way down on the head. they are supposed to seal it better. so i played around and got them all down farther and still nothing. the other problem i am seeing is it looks like gas is goming out of the header at the motor so i see which cylinder it might be. but there is gas coming from a different pipe lower on the exhaust it looks like. im going to have to pull the fairings and get the exhaust off and see what i can figure out

Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM

so i tested all cylinders and found out which one isn't getting spark. now i just have to test the coil

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM

I would think the easiest thing to do is swap the two coils and see if the problem follows with the suspected coil pack.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 PM

yeah im going to try that tomorrow. since i have the day off im going to tear everything down and check it all out. i hope to don't have to tear too far into it.

Quick Reply: Never Ending Bike Problems