CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Need some riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some riding tips

ORIGINAL: denlimack

2 things...first of all about the white knuckling or purple and white hands as mentioned earlier...you shouldn't know the colour as they should be covered by good leather riding gloves!
agreed, get some good riding gear. my hands were like that a good 10-15 minutes after i would take off my gloves. dont be like my roommates or these fine individuals who ride around in flip flops and t shirts.[:@]

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...323&page=1

Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Yea when i first started i thought i was going to be a badass because i have been riding for 10 years before i got my 96 f3 and when i got it lol i thought 40 was fast but yea like Havoc said seat time is the only way.... get used to the bike keep a fear because if you get to comfortable then you start to get into trouble... so keep it safe and just keep riding

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Have a few beers, smoke some weed you'll be fine........gets rid of the white knuckles! Just joking.....

+1 Havoc. Don't be in a rush. Time is on your side. Learn the bike and your limits. You'll forget about the death grip. Good luck and ride safe.

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

its all about seat time homie. you'll be ok . just remember to trust the bike and not get over your own limits.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM

REMEMBER... Don't EVER do anything you feel uncomfortable with. I don't care if you've been riding for ten days or ten years. Ride within you limits. If those limits are 45mph then that is fine I'd have more respect for you and rather ride with somebody like that than a fool who breaks 100+ every light. . Like everybody says here it will take some time. Be safe.

Jack Riddley

P.S. I always say let the cool guys look cool I'll keep both tires on the ground and stay alive.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:35 PM

The best advice I got when I started riding was that when you are in a group "ride for youself" don't try to keep up if you can't, if they get ahead of you they will always slow down and let you catch up, or you can arrange to meet at certain points along the journey.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM

When I first started riding I was the same way. Every gust of wind was like oh ****. It felt as if the front tire was swaying all over the place. I have learned, from seat time, that the more I relax the less I feel the swaying. I think the swaying was more in my head than anything else. I was so nervous that every movement of the bike was intesified.
You will be fine. Be safe and enjoy your ride.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM

oh and as far as shifting and braking--you should be only using 1 to 2 finger...I ALWAYS keep my pointer finger and middle finger on the clutch and as far as the brake I might leave my pointer finger but most of the time i try not to hover over it....Remember the biggest mistake you can make on the bike is grabbing that front brake lever...locking up the front wheel leads to an immediate low or high side ora cool stoppie if you are lucky but I highly doubt that one.

Also some people advise against it but some live by it...For me the rear brake is my friend if you can learn how to use it in the proper way and it will increase your braking time and help you out in the corners.

Ride safe, Ride Free,

Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Hey all,
I appreciate all the advice, I think I'll take it to work tomorrow, it's just a couple miles from my place. I guess that's the best way to calm my nerves. Most of all at this point I fear other drivers, I've had some close calls in my car and one wreck with some dip**** who pulled out in front of me, turned out they didn't have a license, had I been on a bike I probably would have been dead so hopefully everyone here in Oklahoma will drive courteously for me tomorrow, yeah right. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Along with everyonesgreatadvice with beginning to ride, you have a bike that is EXTREMELY forgiving. These bikes want to run and they also want to stay rubber side down. I can bring mine up to a stop light and at a complete stop, hold itverticle with out a foot on the ground for about fives seconds. You have an excellent sport bike to begin with and it has plenty of rice. They'll also forgive ya when you get a little over your head. My F3 was my first bike and I'm still riding the thing today. It's been almost ten years since Irode mineoff the dealershiplot (time flies when havin fun I guess?). Theyfigured I would crash the thing in aday or so because I was such a novice in the parking lot. When I came by to pick up my helmet a couple weeks later, they said that Ilooked like I had been riding for years. It just takes a little time in the saddle. I don't know if anyone has said anything but... WEAR your gear. That stuff has saved my hide many times!! Good luck with thebike and stay safe.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Some good advice so far, just take your time. You wont learn by biting off more than you can chew, you learn by repeating what you know and very slowly attempt just a little more, then perfecting that tiney bit.

Its a hell of alot better to take it slow and learn slow, than to die because you tried to learn too fast.

Quick Reply: Need some riding tips