CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Need Help With The Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With The Charging System

Had a problem getting my bike to start. It would hardly turn over. Bought a new battery and it ran for a few days then would not start? Found a link on How to diagnose the charging system. Went through the steps and found out that my regulator/rectifier was bad so i went out and bought a new one. The bike started and ran great. The other night i left my LEDs on all night and it drained the battery. I charged the battery and rode the bike for about a day and then it would not start again.Did the Trouble shooting thing again and itappers the batteryis BAD. Also i found the plug that goes into the regulato/rectifier was burned. Can the battery go bad from draining it just one time? What caused the plug to get burned? Were can i get a new one? Do i need to get a new battery or should i try the plug first?

Please look at the attatchment: Its the picture of the plug............THANKS

Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Need Help With The Charging System

sorry to hear it bro.. well i started having the same problem. @ 1st i thought it was my stator then i replaced that then it still wouldnt start. so i bought anew battery and it fired right up. rode it for about 3 weeks and then the same thing happened. so i replaced the battery and it still didnt work .. i checked the regulator and it was super hott to the touch. so i went and got a new one and it worked. the guy told me that this is a huge problem with the f2/f3/f4/900RR 's he also said that once one thingstarts to go bad it starts putting more of a strain on the other componets. so you replace teh orignal problem then the others have already begun to fail and cant handle the stress of the fully functional unit. but clearly with you plug toasted like that you need to replace that . how does the regulator smell ? like burnt electrical ? i would assume so because of the plug being burned like that. id take it toa shop and see if they can diagnose it for you . and i wouldreplace the plug then try the battery.. good luck

Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 PM

Not sure which link you're talking about but this one also lists a p/n for a replacement plug for the reg/rect:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Yea thats the link i used to trouble shoot the problem.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:05 AM

Use a 2004ish GSXR1000 rectifier. It works much better and its HUGE. Also you do not have to worry about the plugs. Which is half the problem in the first place. The gixxer one is probably 4 times the size of the stocker and it has cooling fins all over it.

You have to splice the wiring but its very easy. Check the F2 section for info. The thread is titled R/R problem fixed or something of that nature.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 PM

you can retrofit a rectifier from an CBR F1...much like the gsxr units. The rectifier on the CBR and FZR were similar, and prone to fail.

if you drain a lead-acid battery dead for a prolonged period, the plates will absord the acid and it will not take much charge...so yes you could have trashed it....though usually they withstand a couple of those events, and just overnight I wouldn't expect that.

with the delicate rectifier of the F2/3, if you drain a battery fully dead, I would charge it with a stand alone charger for a while before starting the bike...at which time the battery won't draw as much current through the rectifer.

good luck...JB

Old 02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

but also dont forget to look at the burnt out connector plug