CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My first Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Bike!

I am brand spankin new to the motorcycle world and i bought a 1998 CBR 600 F3 a few days ago. I have a few questions though, where do i get a new bolt to put the mirror onto the bike. I dropped it and the bolt broke off but the actual mirror is fine. Next is, she mentioned that it has a trunk but you need to take the seat off, how the heck do i do that? Lastly, does anyone have an owner's manual that they could email me?
Thanks
Chris

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Congratson your 1st bike. I'm sure this goes without saying but have fun and ride safe. The bolt for the mirror is fairly standard and you you could probably find it at your local Honda dealership. You may even get luckyand find one at a hardware store also. Match it up with one of the other ones. The so called trunk on our bikes is a joke unless yours came already modified. If it wasnt the only way to get to the trunk would be to take off the tail fairings, both left & right sides. You will see 2 bolts (one on each side) that connects the seat. Undo those, lift the seat up and thier you go. As for the owner's manual you may find one on ebay. You will find a lot of parts for the f3 on ebay just do your research before you buy anything.

If no one has told you yet let me be the first to say add some pics of your new toy as soon as you can. We would love to see it.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM

welcome to the world of motorcycles! Just remember to wear gear and keep a level head while riding, and dont go out of your comfort zone.

But just take one of the intact bolts to a hardware store and get a replacement.
there are a couple storage compartments under the seat, and there could be a couple different ways to get to them. if the tail is OEM then it has 3 separate pieces, one (the center over the tail light) is bolted in place, the other two (sidecovers) i believe have push pins that go into rubber grommets, and each have one screw that needs turned 1/4 of a turn to set it lose. once you get the side covers off you would need to take off two bolts that hold the seat in place.

the PO could have also made a quick release latch type thing under the seat, like this Honda CBR F3 seat release - YouTube, many people do this because its easier to get the seat off, or if youre like me and have a one piece tail have no other choice.

And if you do a quick search around the F3 section you will find links to online versions of the service manual. once you get the manual it will tell you how to get the seat off in more detail.

hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Welcome to the forum and welcome to motorcycling. This forum is packed with useful information and some really knowledgeable members. If you have not done so, I would suggest that you take a Motorcycle safety course. It is a really good idea. I would also suggest that you always wear a full face helmet, boots, gloves and a jacket that will actually protect you in the event of an event. Be safe and have fun.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Default Thanks guys!

Thanks guys, this was a ll really helpful. I have taken the safety course a few weeks ago and i have all my gear except for a helmet but i will be getting it on monday. i have my jacket, boots and gloves right now. I just need that bolt and i can take my new toy to get inspected.