CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My '96 F3 I just got

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by blwnstang02
Yeah thats why i thought about buying the cheap plastics off of ebay. I am just not fond on the purple, although everybody really likes the look of the bike that i have showed it to.
Well, you can either stand out in the crowd, or go with the pack with Red, Blue, Silver. When my wife and I go places (which is all the time), it's her bike that gets all the complements.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just gotta ask...why are you gonna lower it? Do you have a seat-to-ground distance issue? If not, I wouldn't drop it at all, it will affect the handling--and not in a good way.

If it were mine: the barends, wheel-spokes and hubs, rearsets, heelplates, rear peg brackets, and pipe hanger/strap would all get a nice shot of hyper-wet black powdercoat; and the wheel lips would be polished--along with the front and rear pegs--to match the exhaust.

For the plastics, while they may be more expensive--you get what you pay for--I'd invest in Airtech over the Chinese stuff, and retire those pretty OEM ones to the garage for a rainy day. With good quality bodywork, your imagination--and of course, your wallet--is your only limitation as far as paint goes.

If you're looking to go simpler (read: less costly), powdercoating the wheels (the SJR purple with polished lips would be DOPE!) is really about as far as you need to go. The OEM bodywork/paintscheme really is an eye-catcher, and seems to be getting more and more rare these days!

Of course, this is all just my opinion; so take it for what it's worth...about !

Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys

Originally Posted by NCBikerBoy
I just gotta ask...why are you gonna lower it? Do you have a seat-to-ground distance issue? If not, I wouldn't drop it at all, it will affect the handling--and not in a good way.

If it were mine: the barends, wheel-spokes and hubs, rearsets, heelplates, rear peg brackets, and pipe hanger/strap would all get a nice shot of hyper-wet black powdercoat; and the wheel lips would be polished--along with the front and rear pegs--to match the exhaust.

For the plastics, while they may be more expensive--you get what you pay for--I'd invest in Airtech over the Chinese stuff, and retire those pretty OEM ones to the garage for a rainy day. With good quality bodywork, your imagination--and of course, your wallet--is your only limitation as far as paint goes.

If you're looking to go simpler (read: less costly), powdercoating the wheels (the SJR purple with polished lips would be DOPE!) is really about as far as you need to go. The OEM bodywork/paintscheme really is an eye-catcher, and seems to be getting more and more rare these days!

Of course, this is all just my opinion; so take it for what it's worth...about !
The wheel lips are polished. This is shortly after i got it before i cleaned it up. I dont mind the handling, i am into drag cars. I do not claim nor plan to corner this bike. It will have a flat spot dead center of the tire! HA If i ever did anything to it would be to drag it anyway. But after reading the comments i want to leave it alone for a while and if i change anything it will hold onto oem parts.

The only thing that i know i am going to get shot at for is that i want to do a 190 rear tire on it. As i said handling is not an issue for me. My last bike was a '81 gs1100 old drag bike that i PUTTED around town. It has a 160 on the back now that just looks to dinky for my taste.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I think it would be cool as hell to have a drag bike, but I don't think the F3 would be a good choice. There was a dedicated, huge rear tire, low and long drag bike for sale around here the other day for about two grand.

If you are gonna go that route with the F3, do it right, lower the front and stretch/widen the rear. I wonder how much could be had with the F3 lump? They're pretty cheap so you could experiment with engine builds. Hmm, turbo?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Yeah I said that kind of wrong, i meant if I were to do anything with a bike it would be to drag it not road racing or hardcore cornering. Definitely won't be using this for a drag bike.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 PM

LED Gauge lights

Name:  bradsmobile.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Was the LED gauge lights hard to do? Or do you just plug them in? That looks a lot better than the orange-ish color on mine.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by T-mac
Very nice bike. If anything for appearance i'd paint the wheels. The fairings are pretty immaculate from the pics. And turn signals on the tail are cool too. All good.
I guess I could have combined my last two posts, but I didn't.

Anyway, I wouldn't paint the wheels I wish mine looked like that instead of the yellow that mine are.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by TommyHammond
Was the LED gauge lights hard to do? Or do you just plug them in? That looks a lot better than the orange-ish color on mine.
It was very simple. I dont remember what it was but i found the part # to the bulbs on the forum.

It requires removal of three bolts on the gauge assembly. The two little panels on the inside next to the gauge cluster. Then just take off side mirrors and windscreen. They are easily accessible from there.