CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

mixture screws...worth asking but fat chance

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixture screws...worth asking but fat chance

Like the title says....i'm probably going out on a limb here, but here goes:

I have a bone stock CBR600f3 (1996 model) with 3,000 original miles. I removed the pilot screws for cleaning, but like an idiot, I forgot to note how many turns out they were from the factory. Is it possible that anyone here has counted how many turns out their bikes screws were set from the factory? I want to return it back to stock. Hopefully someone here has this info. The service manual says the starting point is 1.5 turns out, but hopefully someone can give me the info I need.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mixture screws...worth asking but fat chance

Yep thats the standard set up, all bikes are different mate, wot works on one ain't the same as another. You need to get it set correctly or your bikes going to run like crap.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 PM

interesting, you mentioned the bike was stock...

someone has been into the carb since the airscrew limiting caps are not on the airscrews.

Unless you popped them off when youtook them off the carbs.

My local Honda shops Master Honda Mechanic who is also a friend has told me this.

When he rebuilds CBR600 carbs he always sets the Airs crews at 2-1/2 turns out.

No more no less.

Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 PM

I set ALL air screws at 2.5 out exactly and have no problem regardless of the carbs or bike they're on. from 250 ninjas to my 600.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: SIRR1

someone has been into the carb since the airscrew limiting caps are not on the airscrews.

Unless you popped them off when you took them off the carbs.

It is my understanding the F3 does not come with the caps, as the screw being a D-shape design is the tamper proof feature. Those carbs that have standard flathead pilot screws will have the caps. Mine had no caps. Correct me if i'm wrong?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: eric_the_jew

ORIGINAL: SIRR1

Unless you popped them off when youtook them off the carbs.

It is my understanding the F3 does not come with the caps, as the screw being a D-shape design is the tamper proof feature. Those carbs that have standard flathead pilot screws will have the caps. Mine had no caps. Correct me if i'm wrong?
No your most likley right,

I've been through so many carb sets over the years I have possibly lost track.

Is it possible that the F3 float bowl need to be off the carb body before adjustment can be done on the Air screw?

I seem to remember I hitch to adjusting the A/S on this carb set...

Anyway good luck on the A/S setting 2-1/2 out seems right.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Well, i did a little experimenting and every bike is different, so your results may vary. Like I said, the bike is bone stock...no jet kit, nothing. I tried 2.5 turns out as suggested......wayyyy too rich. It smelled rich at idle, and when whacking open the throttle at low rpms (3-4k) while in top gear going down the road, it would spit and stumble.

Re-set them to 1.5 turns out, and ran much better. No more stumble when rolling on the throttle at low rpms. Still smells slightly rich at idle, but better than before. I'm going to 1 turn out next, and I think that will be the sweet spot.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: eric_the_jew

Well, i did a little experimenting and every bike is different, so your results may vary. Like I said, the bike is bone stock...no jet kit, nothing. I tried 2.5 turns out as suggested......wayyyy too rich. It smelled rich at idle, and when whacking open the throttle at low rpms (3-4k) while in top gear going down the road, it would spit and stumble.

Re-set them to 1.5 turns out, and ran much better. No more stumble when rolling on the throttle at low rpms. Still smells slightly rich at idle, but better than before. I'm going to 1 turn out next, and I think that will be the sweet spot.
I assume your pulling the carb set each time you adjust the air screws, so are you sync'ing the carbs each time also?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM

No, i'm not pulling the carbs or re-synching them when I make idle mixture adjustments. Just pull your left fairing and engine hanger plate, and reach through there with the special D-shaped tool and adjust the screws. You'll have to pretty much stand on your head and use a flashlight to locate the screws, but if you take your time it can be done.

Just for the hell of it, I re-checked my sync after making idle mixture adjustments and it was dead-on. I don't believe air fuel adjustments affect sync any appreciable amount.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:30 PM

i have the same problem with my F2 right now. it was sitting for 3 years so i decided to clean the carbs. The bike starts up fine now when when the throttle is blipped, it wants to die. i didnt mess with the mixture screws when i cleaned the carbs, but you're saying its a richness problem huh? I just bought the D shaped bit for like $3 so i'll try leaning it out. anyone know why it needs to be leaned out if they were never adjusted?

Quick Reply: mixture screws...worth asking but fat chance