CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Loss Of Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss Of Power

Today on a ride, the bike suddenly lost power like it was running out of gas. I switched to reserve and pulled in to where we going to eat. Didn't think anymore about it. When we came out, noticed my nuetral light wasn't coming on, then I noticed I had no tail light or turn lights. I chalked those up to a fuse, checked the gas, which was plenty, and we were on our way home.

I got about half a mile and the sputtering began again. Then about a minute into the sputtering, a horrible rattle began making noises from the front of the engine.
I got home, the fuse was burnt so I replaced it, lights were back but then the fuse burnt out as soon as I checked the turn signal. I did some rewiring so that all of my lights work, but the left turn signal does not work - better than nothing.

I can live with that, but this sound that came from the engine. When I got home I took all the plastic off and got real close so I could hear where the sound was coming from. It's definitely coming from the head, and at first it sounds like a lifter or pushrod but much louder and nastier, but those wouldn't cause a loss of power/compression, would they? I'm thinking a piston ring (which I've never heard make a noise like that), or a chipped/cracked piston or maybe even the head.

Anyone have any guesses? This really sucks for the obvious reasons, but I had a ride planned this weekend with some friends because it's going to be KILLER (sunny and 75 degrees). Well, that and I was hoping to get some more riding in by the winter. I had already planned on dismantleing it this winter to learn about the engine, but I was wanting to do it on my terms.

Okay, rant over. Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned
Default RE: Loss Of Power

Okay, after some thinking, I'm thinking maybe the CCT is completely shot.

It can't be the pistons or head since there is no smoke. The CCT has made noise since I bought it, but this is a different noise, though it is coming from the same place.

I guess if it did finally go kaputz it could cause the bike to lose power. Another thing is that when it's in first and I get to about 6-7K RPM's the sound will go away, but then when I shifted into second, it's back. That sounds like the CCT as well. Hmm, I'm gonna have a buddy come by this weekend and take a look. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM

My cam chain was also making excessive noise. I replaced the tensioner with a new one, which by the way is an upgraded design, and the bike is now much quiter. Replacing the CCT was easy and took less than an hour. I have not experienced the other symptoms your are having with your F3.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only other thing I can think of is a faulty coil, one of your cylinders may not be firing (and that sounds evil as well) but your probably right about CCT.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

Well, overnighting the CCT from NY to get it in time for the ride this weekend is gonna cost more than the part, sooo....

How much life can expect out of the Honda OEM part? Surely a decent amount of time? I'll end up replacing it with the manual probably this winter so I guess it really doesn't matter. Maybe I'll just keep the OEM part handy just incase for a backup or something.

Also, I'm guessing the OEM part will be as simple to replace as the aftermarket manual version?

Old 10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

I adjusted the old tensioner yesterday before work, and the sound disappeared... sweet! The bike was quiter than the day I got it.

After about five minutes, the tensioner collapsed again, so I'm gonna pull it off in a bit and see if it's maybe some o-rings or something that will give me a temporary fix until I get the manual part. I can absolutely see how this replacement will be a cinch. I'm only hoping I didn't advance the timing by riding it home, but I don't think so since it fires right up and the throttle is perfectly responsive... we'll see I guess.

It was nice to have a quiet as hell bike, even if it was for five minutes!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

Okay, so I was way off with the o-ring fantasy. The springs and evrything inside was caked with old oil, so I cleaned her up nice-like and coated her thinly with oil. Anyway, I found a way I can keep the CCT from collapsing while I take it for a ride to find out about the sputtering.

It still sputters, just no funky noises... at all. What could cause that? Plugged fuel lines? Spark plugs? It can't be the valves, can it? From what I know about cars, it wouldn't be the case - and a combustible engine is a combustible engine so I"m not sure.

Seems like plugs, clogged fuel lines or timing. BUT, I know a car will tick if the timing is advanced. I don't think it would even fire if it was retarded, and the bike turns over perfectly first try (even first try this morning after sitting for 14 hours). It even idles and throttles up perfectly. I'm at a loss.

I'm gonna hit up the manual that ol' Paul S. gave me and see. I'll let you know what I found out.

P.S. I found a nifty way to make a temp manual CCT out of the OEM part... I have too much time and not enough money on my hands.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

When the manual says, "Engine Lacks Power," could my "sputtering" be considered, "lacking power?"

I know it's not the bearings, tire pressure or clutch, so next to check is the acceleration. Now, is this accelerating the throttle in neutral, or in gear while driving? In neutral, you'd never know there was a problem, it's when it's in gear.

Assuming the manual is meaning while in gear, it says possiblities include, enrichment valve open, clogged air cleaner, restricted fuel flow, clogged muffler or clogged fuel tank vent tube. It shouldn't be any of the fuel possibilities given the fact that throttling in neutral isn't affected, right?

So basically I'm looking at a stuck valve or timing, right? Anyone wanna take a stab at a, "hopefully accurate but probably not completely perfect" account of what I'm having trouble with here?

Heh, it's like my own little repair blog here Don't worry if you have nothing to say, I'll probably be adding more to this as the day wears on...

Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Ha, the plugs were fouled Changed 'em, cleaned the air filter and replaced the CCT...

Put 30 miles on it and she's runnin' like a charm.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:37 AM

Must of lost a plug and somethings it makes a bike run and sound like poop....

Quick Reply: Loss Of Power