CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Input on gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on gear

I am currently shopping for gear and I believe Ive found the components that will both work for my wallet along with my needs for protection.

Starting with my hands, I found a pair of Joe Rocket gloves that seem to provide good knuckle protection for a very fair price.

Down to my feet. Im planning on (so far anyway) to go with these Shift Fuel street shoes. Something comfy yet has protection, something I can ride in and something I can walk in.

My planned jacket. I spent hours searching for the right jacket. Filled my bookmarks in my browser. Changed my mind at least 10 times. At first I was going to go with a Yoshimura mesh jacket until I did some research and decided that I wanted(needed/should have) more protection. So I found a great deal on a Speed and Strength: Twist of Fate textile jacket. I also found a leather jacket that falls within my budget but its an off brand and from what Ive heard a name brand good textile will, not only last longer, but will offer better protection.

As far as a helmet goes, I already have one (I used to work at an indoor go-kart track and bought my helmet there for the karts). I have a KBC VR-2: Stealth.

As far as what I have here do any of you more experienced riders have any input on good/bad things going on with my plans? I really dont care about having gear that matches(brand wise), and I personally think that Alpinestar gear is over priced for what you get. Dont get me wrong, I know they make great stuff, but I cant see why 99% of their stuff is that much more than everyone else's comparable stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I have use and it's worked miracles. My jacket is a Dainese, it looks similar to the picture I posted. Excellent elbow, back, and shoulder protection. The armor in your jacket looks pretty good from the picture. The biggest difference I've noticed between other brands and Dainese is how the armor fits. Not only does the jacket fit like a glove, the armor fits like a glove too. In my opinion, some other brands armor felt like cardboard when against my arms, shoulders, and back. Dainese just makes the armor feel like it's apart of of you.
In terms of helmets, KBC is a good one. The difference between entry and high end helmets is some additional protection, lighter, and the additional muffling of road/wind noise. I had to replace my RF-800 after 10 years, but RF-1000 does a good job too. It's also much lighter than the 800 and my neck doesn't get as sore on long road trips (500+ miles trips). In regards to the gloves, I would want something that cover wrists. The shorty gloves can leave gaps in coverage which could allow you to get rashed on the wrist. The shoes look pretty good. Just make sure the the shoes go above your ankles.

Attached Thumbnails Input on gear-jacket.jpg   Input on gear-helmet.jpg   Input on gear-gloves.jpg   Input on gear-boots.jpg  

Last edited by marc0011; 02-22-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin to upgrade to a Dainese jacket myself. I picked up the Dainese Quito Leather 'shoes'

They're more like half boot. They go well above the ankle, with some impact protection both on the ankle and the heel.

Last edited by Kuroshio; 02-22-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at Dianese jackets, unfortunately they are a bit out of my price range.

I didnt think about wrist protection as far as gloves go. Ill take another look at those.

The reason I picked those shoes is because they have ankle support and protection. I have a set of really nice steel toe work boots I was planning on using, but they dont provide any ankle protection what-so-ever. I really like the idea of walking, lol.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 AM

I have the Icon Super Duty 2 boots (Around $90 at most retailers), they're a good tough boot, without feeling too heavy for sportbike use. Gloves, I have an old pair of Joe Rocket long gloves with kevlar knoucles and finger pads (for cold days) and some Alpinestars SMX-2 Air Carbon gloves for warm days. Jackets I use a Joue Rocket Phoenix mesh (with or without liner) or my AGV (Used to be GSXR) Leather jacket.

Waiting on UPS to show up with my new helmet, A KBC Magnum Mugello that I got on sale from Bike Bandit...Damn slow cross shipping.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XL-Bl...Q5fMerchandise

i just picked up these gloves a few weeks ago. fit is really nice and they seem to be a well built glove for the price