F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need Input F4i vs RR???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input F4i vs RR???

Keep in mind I'm just getting back onto a bike at 47 yrs of age after riding motorcross pretty seriously in my late teen years + some riding on the road with my father back in the late 70s on a Kaw 250.

I will work myself up to being about a 75% of the bike's capacity rider. Meaning? I'm not planning on becoming a track demon. I'm not planning on trying to lay down quickest times in canyons, etc. In fact, I've seen quite a few accidents & fatalities (Deal's Gap, etc.) with bikes and have SOME apprehension about even getting back on one. My plan is to ride big time heads up. Don't road race. Don't push anything beyond my abilities. Don't ride in groups that I don't know. Don't try to keep up with other more advanced riders. Still I realize there's risk with others on the road you cannot control / predict.

But I do drive a Corvette Z06 and am a high performance driving instructor at a school + I fly jets for a living. So I definitely enjoy the finer aspects of rider/driver/pilot + machine interface. I'm really into good handling and feel. Obviously I do love speed.

To the question:

With my goals / objectives, will I noticeably gain anything with the 600RR over the 600F4i? Or do you really only find the difference when running the bikes above say 90%, etc.?

I know in the Vette world, I can tell the subtle differences between the Z06 and the standard Vettes even with Z51 suspensions. Gearing is different. Ride & road feel is more direct. But truly you can only get the real difference when you work the cars above about 80% or so.

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Default RE: Need Input F4i vs RR???

you won't notice a difference. It's like comparing a z28 to an SS. Cooler name, nicer styling, it's the one most people want. I'd go for the RR if money isn't an object. It looks killer, especially compared to the new f4i's with that ugly banana seat. No offense to anybody, but that seat does take a lot away from the bike... RR for sure.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 AM

I bought the F4i simply because it was more comfortable to sit on. It doesn't look like much, but the location of the bars on the RR (2" lower or so), sure changes your weight distribution. I'm sure it's great if you're gonna race with it or ride it hard...but geez, I'm past the speed limit in first gear on my F4i.

It depends on what's important to you. If you want that little bit of extra performance and the seating position is comfortable enough to you, then go for the RR. Otherwise, the F4i is more than fast enough to get you into plenty of trouble.

I'd go spend some time sitting on an RR in riding position. Sit there for a few minutes....

Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 AM

Comfortability and looks are the main differences if your not on a track. On a drag strip the F4i and RR will run pretty much nose to nose, however, on the track the RR is better. I have on '01 F4i, and one of my buddies has a '03 RR and like I said, its not a noticable difference unless on a track performance wise. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 AM
L8X

you're old, get the f4i, its more comfortable. more power than you can handle anyways... hahahaha, i am sooo kidding! im no ageist- is that how you spell it? seriously, everything that's been said is true. go with what you want, then feel free to trade in or upgrade. welcome back to the world of real riding!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM

f4i

Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 AM

No kidding "I'm old".

Well, comfort is pretty darn important. I'm in excellent shape, but enjoying the riding experience for multiple hours is certainly a top priority. To get to the "good roads" is a good 20 minute ride for me, therefore that accounts for at least 40 minutes round trip right there. Add that to a couple of hours riding and you've got most of 3 hours in the saddle.

I didn't realize the handlebars were 2 inches higher on the F4i. Also the seat is a touch lower I believe. I do not have long legs, so that's important for me in overall control & feel of the bike.

I am curious. Looking at the specs, there is no difference in engine. There appears to be little difference in suspension. Front brake is a little bigger on the RR. Tires are the same OEM. About 10 lbs total weight difference which is less than .3% of total weight. So what accounts for the track differences?

Thanks,

Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM

I'm 37, the RR just hurts sitting on it in the showroom, the F4i I can ride 3hrs. no problem.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM

There are some differences in the engines. The RR has an extra set of fuel injectors that kick in (somebody help me here) at about 10K RPM or so. The RR makes an additional 5HP or so.

I'd say the track benefits come mostly from weight distibution (better balance). The RR forces you up and over the front more...but you pay for it in your arms and wrists. The lighter weight helps some too.

I too can ride my F4i for 2-3 hours no problem.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 PM

i would go with the rr just to eliminate the bananna seat. just like 01600f4i said. and if you are into speed (sounds like you are) you are going to love being on these types of bikes. if you respect the bike you can have an unbelievable amount of control and speed.

Quick Reply: Need Input F4i vs RR???