CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I know its been covered but

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know its been covered but

Has this happened to anyone...

i put my bike away for the winter and ive been working on it here and there but havent started it up since (mostly cosmetic stuff)

but i started it up today and it took me a while to get her goin. probably a solid minute or 2 just trying to turn over... then when i revved it up a bit there is a very very noticable flat spot between 5-7k... like it sputters when it gets there then just forces it self over 7k...

i didnt have the time to fully check the carbs. but will get around to it sometime soon. Its just wierd cuz the carbs were cleaned earlier this year when i started riding. its ther first time that has ever happened. my bike has been away for about a month now

Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was your battery outside on the bike? Could be the battery temp

Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 AM

nah, i forgot to take the battery out before but now i did... but that still wouldnt cause the flat spot tho?? No??

Old 11-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
nah, i forgot to take the battery out before but now i did... but that still wouldnt cause the flat spot tho?? No??

Leaving old (over 45 days) untreated gas will.........

Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldBalz
Leaving old (over 45 days) untreated gas will.........
Well recently i was doing similar stuff to my F3 as above and probably left it for near that amount of time and mine still started easily and ran well, still not perfectly, maybe down on power until i refuelled.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM

i put fuel stabilizer in it but i didnt have afull tank of gas so that might be a problem... i didnt want to puta full tank in it cuz istill have the tank that needs to be painted and have to take it off soon...

Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
i put fuel stabilizer in it but i didnt have afull tank of gas so that might be a problem... i didnt want to puta full tank in it cuz istill have the tank that needs to be painted and have to take it off soon...
The purpose of filling your tank to the top, when putting a bike into winter storage, is to displace air which may allow moisture caused by condensation and allow the unfilled portion of the tank to rust internally.

This is especially important, in cold winter climates, because of varying temp/humidity conditions ......

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldBalz
The purpose of filling your tank to the top, when putting a bike into winter storage, is to displace air which may allow moisture caused by condensation and allow the unfilled portion of the tank to rust internally.

This is especially important, in cold winter climates, because of varying temp/humidity conditions ......
So what would you recommend doing for winter storage in a cold climate area?

Have a full tank with fuel stabilizer?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black.Prince
So what would you recommend doing for winter storage in a cold climate area?

Have a full tank with fuel stabilizer?
Most of the 'winterizing' is because your bike will be sitting. For example, the stabilizer is because gas isn't meant to sit for long periods of time. It breaks down. Now if you somehow manage to ride through the winter, the stabilizer isn't necessary. Gas will get used before it has a chance to breakdown

For winter storage (a couple months)
  • (Priority) Get fuel stabilizer into the fuel system
    Put the fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the bike for a bit so it has a chance to work its way completely through the engine. Its not just the tank you have to worry about getting gunked up if the gas breaks down.
  • (Priority) Make sure the proper coolant is in the bike
    Obviously you don't want water in the cooling system freezing and unfreezing as the temp fluctutates. Could cause something to bust as it expands and contracts
  • (Priority) Lube the chain
    Don't care where its stored or how. Condensation will get a chance to form and the chain is the weak link. Don't want the slightest rust to form on the chain.
  • (Priority) Fill the tank completely
    Even with fuel stabilizer in it, gas will slowly evaporate. In an enclosed space (like the tank) condensation will form, giving the metal not submerged in gas a chance to form rust (in the worst possible place)
  • (Priority) Take out the battery (or use a battery tender)
    These aren't car batteries. They can't take the cold as well as one could. A battery tender will keep it charged and warmer (from the trickle charge)
  • (Priority) Get the bike's weight off the tires
    The cold will stiffen the rubber. Sitting on the same spot for a couple months can cause a flat spot to form. Put her up on stands if possible. If not, remember to go out there frequently and move her a foot or so to change the tire position
  • (Optional) Change the oil
    This one is kinda debatable. Some guys don't want the old used oil sitting in the engine for a long period of time, letting the gunk in it from normal use get a chance to settle in the engine and form a hardened deposit. Can't say either way. But a precaution prevents a problem later
  • (Optional) Close off any entrances to the engine / exhaust
    Exhaust pipe and our ram duct is a great home for rodents and small animals during the winter. Great place for them to bring their bedding and remodel into a nice nest, out of the major elements (snow / rain / wind).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Someone may add something i forgot / missed.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

i live in ct and its really cold here and my bike is just sitting in my garage for storage....

about a month ago, i changed the oil.
i filled the tank the the top, had always used stabil every other fill up or so, so that was all set, and put the front tire on two spare car mats i had (so it does not get a flat spot), and i have a rear stand so the rear is off the ground (obviously), also it is uncovered.

yesterday, it was still cold out but ride able. so i wanted to go for a quick cruise. i checked the battery voltage, it was at 13.2, it took a couple of minutes to start, and once it did it clanked and had the usually sounds a cold engines makes. after about ten minutes of warm up i took her out for about twenty minutes and she still runs great.
came back and put it on the mats and stand.

and i dont keep my battery on a tender i just check it every now and then, and charge it as necessary.
(but i actually just read kuroshios post and i might take it out just to keep it warm thats a good idea)

so as you can see i have a very basic strategy of storage, and my bike still works good. this is my first winter storage with a bike, and i plan to keep it how i did, except i have to put something over the pipe and intake, probably do that tomorrow.

also as i mentioned its uncovered...even though i want to get a motorcycle cover. but i think its better to keep it un covered for now rather then just throwing a regular tarp over it, because tarps keep water out, but dont let it escape. covers are breathable, wont let water in but will also let it escape.

Quick Reply: I know its been covered but