CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I found gas dripping from my air box

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I found gas dripping from my air box

Alright ladies and gents, here's the story.

Today was somewhat of a success but not a very big one. I was able to get my bike started for the first time since I put it away for winter (its been in another state and I've been waiting on a new gas tank). It fired right up the first time and I ran it for a few minutes and shut it off (i turned the choke off and just kept it running with the throttle). I started it up again and shortly after, gas started dripping from the left side of the air box. If you trace that it connects to a hose that runs along the frame and connects to the air vent solenoid valve. From there two small hoses connect to the carbs. the air valve and those hoses were full of gas as well. I have no idea what that valve does, but im guessing it forces air into the carbs? My conclusion is that gas is flooding from the carbs through the air valve and into the air box.

I'm not sure how the air valve works, but i unhooked all of the hoses from it and tried to start the bike to see if i could see anything moving inside..nothing was moving. I also checked the voltage on the air valve relay and it was reading what the battery voltage was. That's good news according to the manual.

that's the only culprit i can think of, but if anyone else has another idea i'm all ears.

Let me know if this wasn't specific enough or if you have any questions.

For all those who respond, thanks for your input.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really say what it is but I'm pretty sure the air solenoid has nothing to do with it. It's my understanding that all that does is allow air from the 2 smaller ram air hoses into the carbs. And after 12 mph, it closes and just uses air from the front ram air duct.

I, as well as other people on here have it bypassed all together. Like I said, I doubt that is your problem but you can always bypass it and see what happens.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM

I might try and bypass it today. But how about the fuel cut off relay? I found that on some other threads, but didn't see how to test it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm currently still looking for threads and in the manual for a how to.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Arrow

Name:  DSC_0378.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  80.2 KB

here is where the gas is coming from. I only had it started a few seconds before gas started coming out in a pretty steady stream. Is it possible that the floats are stuck? That's a pretty tasking job for me, especially since i really don't have a place to work. Anybody think this could be the case?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm kind of just updating as i go along. I hooked the gas tank back up and fired her up again and shut her off as soon as gas started leaking from the air lines. I unhooked the gas line from the tank and started up again. This time no gas came out of the air lines. it did seem to run for a strangely long amount of time before cutting out. probably 2-3 min.

So now I'm down to either a fuel pump putting out to much gas or sticky floats.

I guess it cant hurt to clean the carbs, so that's my next step. I'll update when I get everything back together. Maybe this will be useful for someone else down the line. Save them the headaches I have now..