CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

How do I paint a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I paint a bike?

You can get it at almost any auto parts store, maybe even WalMart.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Yea I bought it at Kragen. But I'm sure you can find it at all most every wuto parts store. It's in the glue section, which is usually by the cans of spray paint.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Yeah Wal-Mart has got it. I found with the glues and epoxies.

I got all my painting finished up today, but I didn't have time to put everything back on the bike. I'll have some pictures tomorrow though.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm currently on the second coat of the primer. I think i'm going to only do two coats myself

Hey Kidcr3nshaw: After you painted your bike black. Did you sand the paint down again? or did you leave it as is? Plus did you clear coat it also?

TIA

Old 12-19-2006, 09:25 AM

I put about 3 coats of black and wet sanded in between coats. After the last coat put on 2 coats of Kryon satin clear coat. I didn't and inbetween them or after the last coat of black. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it but it gave it a nice finish that was a little shiny but not a lot.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM

cool I'l have to try that.
How many coats of primer did you put on?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

If you want to make it really smooth (we're not talking body shop smooth), get some scotch brite and hit it LIGHTLY between clear coats.

I like that matte finish myself - let's see some damn pics!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Me again. I'm not from the US and I've never seen Plastic Weld around here. (South Africa) I do have some experience with plastic welding fairings with a soldering iron. The problem is that they tend to crack after a year or so, especially if it's a area in the fairing like a mounting where there is more strain.I'm just curious if this glue of your's is any good? How does it work? Do you just glue the fairings together and paint over it? and how long does it last?

If its better then the old method it might be worth importing or convince a local shop to stock it.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM

This would be my first time using Plastic Weld, and I think it works really well.

To break it down, it's just epoxy (glue) made to hold plastic and other types of material. It comes in a suringe(sp?) and when you push the plunger down it pours out two different types of glue. When you mix the glue together you have about a 5min time spand to put it where you need it and then it sets. Cure time is about 4 hours, but I never had to wait longer than 30 mins (then again I put it in front of a shop lamp to keep it heated).

After it's cured. I just sanded it down. It works just link bondo and the hardener that comes with it.

I lie how the Plastic Weld held the broken parts together and filled in all of the scrapes that were on the bike.

I don't know how long the Plastic Weld lasts but while I was preping the fairings I banged them a couple of times, but the glue held very well. I think I'll do my mom's boyfriends bike (cbr600f) and his is torn to sh*t. This time I'll remember to take pictures before.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the bike before but i'll take some when it's reassembled. This would be another project that I forget to take pictures before. Sorry guys.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:34 PM

I took some pics but I can't find the cable to connect my camera to my computer. I'll look for it some more later on.

The plastic weld seems to work really well. It's like an epoxy. It comes in two separate tubes that you mix together and then stir it up to make it set. If you take some time you can't even tell that there was a crack in the fairing. I'm not sure how it would do over a period of time but it seems like it would hold up well.

Quick Reply: How do I paint a bike?