CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Housekeeping...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Housekeeping...

Not really sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here...

I'm going to have my platic repainted in about 2 weeks (going to be sweet... and FREE!!!), when I take it in, I'd like to completely clean the bike.

I know when I was restoring my 83 Mustang GT I just taped off the carb and went to town with some degreaser, engine cleaner and a garden hose. How sloppy can I bee with the bike? Surely I'm not going to be spraying water ALL over the place, but I'm curious what I should stay away from.

It's primarily the underside of the bike that is needing cleaned anyway. Like I said in another post, the previous owner just didn't take care of the bike the way I would have. There is build-up everywhere, and I hate that, especially when I'm relatively uncertain as to the condition of the bike as far as leaks and seals go. So, for the first part of this question, I'm asking for advice on cleaning material and things I should stay away from.

For the second part, I noticed when adjusting the suspension that there is some crud build-up around the lower tripleclamp. Should I be concerned about seals? The obvious answer seems to be yes. There isn't much if any around the lower fork seals - but in any case, I'm going to have the bike apart anyway. Also I've noticed that when the wheel is pointed straight that the bars are ever so lightly pointing to the left... what does that translate to - twisted forks? So question #2 - #3, how difficult to reuild the front forks, and has anyone written anything up on it here on the forums that I might be pointed to - and what to do about the off-center bar rest position?

And lastly, I'm noticing a build-up of crud around the wheels and axles - should I be concerned with bearings? Replacement of that seems quite self explanitory - but I'm wondering if I should just treat it to a good cleaning, and see how quickly the buildup returns. So, question #4, should I just use a rag to wipe down the area in question, or is there another cleaner I might try?

Thanks for putting up with me and all my sill questions!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned
Default RE: Housekeeping...

Just read up on the fork issue - the previous owner had laid it down at a very low speed, I'm guessing the upper and lower clamps are out of alignment of each other - going to look/adjust now.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM

I've got the same problem with my forks. How do you do the allighnment?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM

Stay away from degreasers that are oil based....like Gunk engine degreaser (basicly deisel fuel in a can)...such oil based degreasers would not do your braking performance any good shoudl they get on the rotors or pads. I use simple green, and have come to like it.

Twisted forks is not uncommon on the F bikes....we had to "readjust" them at the track all the time. Loosen up the top or lower triple clamp pinch bolts (not both).....wheel it over to a tree and bang the wheel against the tree is the direction needed to get it straightened out.

Lower triple clamp will get grease around it...the seal there is only needed to keep junk and water out....it should never need replacement. The grease that does weep out will attract dirt and form a seal as well. The bearings in the steering head see only oscilation...not rotation in the sense of say a wheel bearing, so can get by with very little grease....the grease is doing more to keep them from rusting than anything. Its not a bad idea to check the steering head bearings and make sure that they whole assembly is not sloppy from the upper nuts loosening

Wheel bearings...unless you feel a click in them or feel very dry they are ok (a dry feeling bearings will spin very loose, and feel very much like its metal on metal). Wheel bearings can certainly last a long time...I've had bike with 45K on the originals. There is a seal around the wheel spacer to keep abrasive debris from getting at the bearings....and the bearings also have their own seals. The little bit of grease that gets out is from between the seal and the bearing....a little is normal, and doesn't mean you need new seals. Wheel bearing/seals kits are available from all-***** pretty cheap.....way cheaper than OEM. Replacing them involves a hammer and a punch for removal, and teh same hammer and some care for instalation.

Have fun...

Old 10-27-2006, 01:31 AM

Before I put my new plastic on I washed the entire body engine and all witha degreaser/cleaner I got for my chain and also a leaner for brake parts. Looks a lot better now, had a lot of build up on it! I heard as long as you stay away from the air intake and the spark plugs you should be fine just don't drown it in water just in case