CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help on temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on temp gauge

ok i am new to this forum. and this is my first cbr not my first bike

i havnt even tried to fix this yet because it doesnt bother me that much but if some one knows exactly whats wrong that would be cool

when i turn the bike on the temp gauge starts at half and normal operating temp is almost touching the red. i was told the previous owner did this so that the radiator fan would run all the time. but i like knowing the temp of my bike.
any one know what he did? did he jump a relay? or mess with the sensor? mercury switch?

let me know what you got.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm not sure why the PO would do this. Maybe a missunderstanding of how they all work. The Temp Gauge doesn't cause the bike to run cooler. Nor does it control the fan motor, or make it come on earlier. I guess it's possible that he installed a small resistor between the connector on the Thermo Sensor and ground. Since the sensor's resistance goes down as it heats up, it's total resistance would start out lower over all, and get even lower as it heated up.

The Fan Motor is controlled by a Fan Motor Switch. When the water in the radiator gets hot enough, the switch closes and the fan turns on.

As far as cooling the engine, that's the job of the Thermostat which is located behind the cylinders on the right side. When the engine heats up, the thermostat opens to allow water to flow through the engine and pass through the radiator, which cools the water. If you're moving, the wind passing through the radiator is enough to cool the water. In traffic, and no wind, the water in the radiator gets hot enough to activate the fan motor switch, turning on the fan motor to cool the water that's passing through it.

To test if the temp gauge is working right, does it start off on C before you turn on the key ? Look at the connector to the thermo sensor to see if there is any additional wiring on it. It should only have 1 wire to it.
Lots of extra info I know, but give the whole picture.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks for all the info. i will let you know what i find! u rock dude

also yes before i turn the key on the temp gauge is at zero. when i turn the key on it goes straight to half. and then oviosly, when i start the bike it justs goes up from half to the red line as it heats up.