CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help Needed!! Bike starts/runs- I give throttle and it dies????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed!! Bike starts/runs- I give throttle and it dies????

Hey everyone, (if you want to just read the issue right now first it's down at the bottom where it says HERE's THE ISSUE).

I've had this new 97 F3 for about a week. I love it, it runs great. Today I started it up- choke on, let it run for about 2 mins (just sitting) then took the choke off before riding it. I always do this... Then I parked it for about 2 minutes, came back and started it without the choke and it was running fine- idling where it should be- around 12-1500.

Took it out on the street and as i get to the first stop sign rpms slowly drop, and it dies. I try starting it, won't start at first. Choke on and it jumps up to 4,000 rpm. I let it warm up (pull off to the side) and then take the choke off but it kept dying (rpms were too low), so then I messed wit hthe idle adjuster- trying to raise the idle- but it didn't work, kept dying. At one point with the choke on I gave a little gas and thought about riding it with the choke on but decided not to. So then I walked it over and parked and walked back to drop my helmet off and walk it back (since then it really wasn't starting and the battery was starting to suffer).

I did some research on the idle adjuster and walked back to the bike and decided to try to "close it". So I turned it all the way to the right and then put the choke on and tried one last time to start it. It started right up and reved way high, so i turned it off, and turned the idle adjuster to the left and started it up. Back to the 4,500 rpm, running fine with the choke on.
I turned the choke off as it warmed up again and the rpms were around 2,000.

HERE'S THE ISSUE: I give a tiny bit of throttle and it revs up some, but if I give a tiny bit more throttle it stutters and drops rpms (like 2% throttle is fine, 5% and it stutters/dies). If I hold it at that extra amount of throttle, it dies. If I let go of the throttle right as it stutters it will maintain idle. The idle itself is not very consistent- it drops veeerrry slowly. Even when I was riding it if I reved the motor in neutral it seemed to upset the idle (and that's what caused it to die the first time at that stop sign). Each slight "rev" would lower the idle a little more to the point where I couldn't rev it and it would die.

It seems like the 5%+ throttle fuel mixture is bad... How can I fix this? I'm sure it's carb related. The bike otherwise runs perfect, I'm just not very familiar with carbs. I don't have many tools either so I hope it's not too difficult to fix!

I would REALLY appreciate ANY help! Thank you!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Default RE: Help Needed!! Bike starts/runs- I give throttle and it dies????

I sort of had a problem like that when i put my motor in, i tried to clean my own carbs and i thought i did and i put them back together and the bike would start but barly idle. It would only run with the choke on i couldn't give it no gas or it would cut out or if i took the choke it would cut out to.. I took it to the shop i hate messing with carbs for cars or bikes it just a pain in the *** to me but other find it easy. They did a rebuild, with jet kit and synched them for 600.00or so $. worth it to me that was the last issue ive had it runs great now esppecially with jet kit. good luck with it , maybe it needs synching to i think there a post somewhere that show how to make a gadget that will do it or you can buy one but i dont know where from maybe some else does.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM

sounds like a fuel pump try bypassing the fuelpump. what does everyone elsethink? search fuel pump and see other people issuse and see it if relates to your problems.
sounds like it happens alot on F3s happened to me too.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM

how would it idle with out the fuel pump working ? wouldnt not start at all?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM

befoire your try carbs do the fuel pump thing just incase. since its alot cheaper and less time consuming to replace thant to get them cleaned.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Thats a good idea