CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

help me I need to remove the gas lid wit no key

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me I need to remove the gas lid wit no key

Well my keys were stolen......my spare n my regular ones.....so I had to remove the igntion n I bought one..........but I forgot dat the gas lid used the sames one..... so now I have to remove the gas lid wit no key... so how do I do it? And can I order a gas lid wit the same key as the ignition?......and I also stripped a screw and I can't remove it ill post a pic of my gas lid.... my bike is a 98 cbr 600 f3..... please post something asap I only got a half a tank of gas left.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Default RE: help me I need to remove the gas lid wit no key

You're gonna have to remove the three allen bolts that hold the entire lid in place. If absolutely necessary, just drill the head off of the screw that you stripped. Just so you know, only the three bolts that form a triangle (the center one up top, and the two on either side of the hinge at the bottom) hold the entire assembly in place. The other 4 bolts are just cosmetic. Otherwise try to back the one you stripped out with a punch and hammer. If you mess the bolt up, I've got three spares I'd be more than happy to send you. Vortex makes a keylessscrew on fuel lid replacement if you don't want to spend money getting a stock one because if the gas cap didn't come with the ignition, you'd have to get a locksmith to match the locks. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:54 AM

I finish taking the bolts out but for som reson I still can't remove the lid its like stuck on the edge where a little dip is... its closer to the crutch its a little dip

Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The cap is designed such that even if you remove the screws from the surrounding ring, you can't open the gas cap. That would sort of defeat the purpose of having a key lock on it. Anyone with an allen wrench could open it with little trouble. You're either going to have to get a locksmith to open the lock for you, or you're going to have to destroy the lock , in which case you'll be able to use a flat bladescrewdriver to open it.

The attached image is what a thief did to my wifes gas cap so he could use it for a couple of days. Luckily it was only minor damage, just the locks. It looks like a few blows with a hammer and maybe a screwdriver did the trick.

The locks and keys are sold by Honda as a set for around $195. It includes a new gas cap, ignition switch, helmet lock and 2 new keys.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10297/00249FCA1E7947A8920A755AA12EBF86.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2007, 12:28 AM

Also, be sure not to accidentally siphon fuel from somebody's ride with gas prices being very high these days

Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 AM

Ummmm... I thought I had it but I still can't open it... I took a flat head n hit da tank n I manage to take out da piece u put da key in but it has like a long spring in the middle and two metal road looking things but I still try to turn both and it still won't open....I'm also scare if I take a drill to it tha tank will blow up on me.....

Old 05-27-2007, 01:39 AM

My gas cap was broken into and I rode it around for awhile before it just wouldn't open back up again. Ended up taking the dremel and a flat head screw driver to remove the lock. You won't be able to remove it without destroying the gas cap. Try looking on eBay for a replacement.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 AM

if u have removed most of da lock u should b able 2 to push da bits were da key used 2 go and turn da lock

Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 AM

I figured it out the two rodes have to be pulled together... not pushed apart... ima put a pic up of how do do this step by step