CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help with fuel pump...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuel pump...

Hello, all. I have a 1996 600 F3 that won't start. It's been down since September, and I've gone through a battery trying to get it to start. I finally bit the bullet and took the fuel tank off, cleaned it out (in case of debris), and took a look at the air filter and carbs. I had a full carb service a little over a year ago. I also replaced the spark plugs, which were pitch black and majorly fouled out. I've gotten it to start a few times, but once it fires, it idles down and shuts off, and I think it floods due to the smell of gasoline.

After reading other posts on this forum (man, you guys are such a HUGE help for troubleshooting), I think it is my fuel pump. I followed some of the tips on other posts, took my hose off the pump that goes to the carbs, and bypassed the relay. When I cut the bike on and turned on the gas, the fuel pump didn't "erupt" into noise, BUT when I switched the run button on and off rapidly, the fuel pump was spitting fuel out with each "click" on. I took off the bypass, reconnected the relay, and repeated the same "on/off" pattern with the kill switch. NOTHING!

So my question is should my fuel pump keep pumping once the switch is cut on, without the on/off method I was doing, or is that the way it's supposed to be? If it was acting right, then I think I have a bad relay, which would be relief since they cost $50 compared to a $117 fuel pump.

Also, btw, if any of you decide to buy new parts, buy them www.ronayers.com. They're the cheapest place I've found for new parts online, and much cheaper than my local Honda dealer.

Thanks for any and all help with this. The weather is so nice, I'd much rather be riding than sitting here typing this message.

Barrett

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Default RE: Help with fuel pump...

sounds like the relay. because when u by passed it the pump worked. and yes the kill switch turn on/off the pump. get a relay.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Yeah, it worked, but only one "pump", right when I first hit the run switch. Is that the way it's supposed to work when you first hit the switch? Just one pump? Or is it supposed to keep going?

Thanks for replying so fast.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The Fuel Pump should continue to pump fuel so long as the Fuel Cut Relay is bypassed, and you have the Ignition Key Switch turned On and the Engine Stop switch in the Run position. If you download the Shop Manual (there are links somewhere on this site, so do a search), it has a procedure for doing a flow test on the pump. It involves bypassing the the Fuel Cut Relay, then turning on the Ignition Switch for 5 seconds, allowing the fuel pump to pump fuel into a beaker or measuring cup. You measure the amount pumped in 5 seconds, multiply it 12 to determin a Per Minute flow rate and compare with the spec of 700cc min./minute.

Sounds like to me you have a faulty pump that is getting stuck as soon as it tries to run.

Service Honda has that pump for $110 in case you're interested in a better price.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the info, bud. I had never heard of Service Honda, but I do like their prices.

B.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Ok, I got a new fuel pump and it works like a charm (my other one was definitely bad), BUT the damned bike still won't crank. I've jumped the fuel relay with the new pump on, and the engine tries to catch, but then doesn't, and I just keep draining the battery down by trying. I've ordered a new fuel relay, but it hasn't gotten here yet. What are the odds that I had both a bad pumpAND a relay?Do the two go hand-in-hand, orshouldI be looking somewhere else? What should I be checking for or doing next? Any andall info you can offer is much appreciated...I'm learning all of this while I go.

If I don't get it cranked soon, my last question will beif I lightthe damn thing up with gasoline or kerosene, which one will burn hotter and cleaner?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

If the bike will turn over, then you need to check if your getting fuel and a spark. You need a battery in good condition to provide a good spark. You can pull each plug individually, attach it to the plug wire, turn it over and see if you're getting a spark. If you're getting a spark, then it's probably a fuel problem. Are you trying to start it with the choke on (you should be). I really doubt that the relay is bad. If you've ordered it, then go ahead and install it, it can't hurt. How was the bike performing the last time it was running right ?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM

It was running fine. I drove it over to my in-laws to put it in their garage before a storm, it sat for a couple of days, and I haven't been able to get it to run since. I've checked all the fuses, everything looks fine, and I've changed the spark plugs. Is there a chance I could've fouled the new plugs trying to crank it with the bad fuel pump?