CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

help: engine randomly cuts out and dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbotransam83
I do see what your trying to say with a vaccuum effect occuring in the tank will not allow the pump to pull and fuel out. If im not mistaken under our stock fuel cap assembly there is a small vent hole thats not visible unless you take the cap assembly off. Ill have to look at mine i have the tank apart for paint and ill post what i see.
I managed to make it into work today without the bike dying. Im sure thats because i started with a full tank, but yea, let me know what you find. I wouldnt want to burn up my pump or ruin something else by not fixing this.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out my tank and under the cap assembly there is a vent hole. there are the 3 bolt holes then a small hole in the left side. id assume that would be a vent also or just thinking about it now that may be a water drain off tube to the hose under the tank so when it rains water doesnt build up in the cap area when you go to fill it. im not to sure

Attached Thumbnails help: engine randomly cuts out and dies-37355_135839519771535_100000364644926_253076_5049481_n.jpg  

Last edited by turbotransam83; 07-07-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: duh
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Riding with the lid open is a way to troubleshoot the vacuum effect. I didn't recommend wheelies or riding hard. You could take it to a parking lot or something though without much worries. It was not suggested as a permanent solution to the problem, but as a way to troubleshoot it.

And the hole I drilled has a little rubber grommet on it now. Without the grommet, it sprayed very little gas if you had a full tank and had to jam on the brakes. It's the same way that the tanks are vented on the SV650s.

The rain water runs to the lowest point under the cap which is that hole on the left hand side - probably because that's the side the kickstand is on. It's a direct line to the bottom of the tank that serves as a drain. The vent is actually inside of the gas tank.

The point is that somehow that vacuum effect has to be fixed. With the size of the opening in the top of the tank, chances are that you're not going to be able to get your hand down in there to unplug whatever it is that's plugging up the line. Drilling a hole and putting a grommet in there was just the cheapest and best way I could think of... and more importantly it works.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM

Or if you want to try to clean out the vent tube line you could go to a craft store like michaels or something and get those pipe cleaner things that kids play with. They are like spun wire with brush needles all over it. They are pretty durable and flexible so you can get into the tank easy.

Just dont pull a me.... dont leave your tank on a rolling stool because the devil will push it off when its full of gas and the paint is still wet.....

Besides thats another story but thats about it that i can think of. Keep us posted

Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well probably not the update we were expecting, but I'll take it.

I've put a couple hundred miles on it since my last post and i havent had any problems with it. not even signs of it cutting out. The only thing i can think of is seafoam. I put some in before i was having problems to clear everything out and im assuming that something broke free and got clogged in the vent and over time either dislodged itself or disinigrated.

but if it does happen again sometime down the road, ill be sure to post what i find

thanks for the input guys

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotransam83

Just dont pull a me.... dont leave your tank on a rolling stool because the devil will push it off when its full of gas and the paint is still wet.....

don't pull a me and paint your tank outside and wait inside all excited about the new paint job to finally go outside and find out its been pouring down rain for 2 hours.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
don't pull a me and paint your tank outside and wait inside all excited about the new paint job to finally go outside and find out its been pouring down rain for 2 hours.

Yeah i hear you, it sucks so much sanding everything back down to redo all the work lol. But hey atleast we will never do the same mistake again.........Hopefully

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

hey man im having the same problem, where did you drill the hole in the tank and where did you get the grommet to go in the hole?
Thanks mike

Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

Old threads die hard.
Hey, Just picked up my bike from a shop. The same problem is happening to me. If I ride a few miles the tank draws or builds pressure some how and blows gas out the key hole.
Runs ok until I hit HIGH rpm. 9000ish.
So, does anyone have a pic of this vent hole?