CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

got it to crank now what

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got it to crank now what

I got my 98 cbr 600 to finally crank after figuring out a couple issues, now it wont start. It has fuel all the way to the carbs. and if i spray starting fluid it will fire so im guessing it has spark. the battery is weak but this happens even if i hook it up to the car and let it charge for a long time. the adj. would the adj screw for the carbs make the engine not start. and waht is the stock setting.. i have it all the way in 1 1/2 turns out thank you

Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: got it to crank now what

There can be many things wrong, first off if your battery is dead or has a dead cell it wont throw enough spark to start it and you will just be killing the plugs. Second what was wrong with it from the beginning what was the reason for all of this? start from the beginning. your r/r might be dead might have a bad wire connection somwhere,I mean its pretty much process of elimination to be honest my problemwas kinda similar andI had a dead cell in my battery.I changed that and it fired right up after changing plugs. you might have week plugs do you have a manual hynes or chilton? Thats a great deal right there, it helps big time!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Probably fouled plugs.

I got my bike running the other day. I then put chains and sprockets on and rode it around some to see how the new chain felt. The bike started to run odd but I figured it's from the carbs being out of synch. I took it up to a shop to have the carbs synched up and he said that only 2 pistons where firing and that from the old gas(6months) and running wrong that I probably fouled the plugs or gummed up my jets.

So now I'm haivng him clean the carbs and then synch them up.

Also according to the "Clymel"(?) manual on carb tuning you go all the way in until the screw sits then come out 2and 1/2 turns.

If when you ran it before you had blue smoke coming out the back then you probably were running rich and fouled your plugs or gummed up your jets.

If your bike was a project it probably wouldn't hurt to have the carbs cleaned.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM

i took out the plugs and cleaned them up (sand paper and starting fluid) and put them back in. tried to start the bike. no luck/same thing. When i started messing with the fuel screw that is down by the fuel switch i got it to start to fire when i turned it all the way out. and then the screw came all the way out and fell off (whoops) so i have to put it back on. but even with the screw all the way out i can atleast get the bike to fire just not run. Any ideas of what it could be?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 PM

why dont you try replacing the plugs with new ones. mine used to just crank but not turn but when I relaced the plugs i started right back up.