CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Gas leak issue (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak issue (with video)

So, I have searched far and wide. I have a gas leak between carb # 3 and # 4. I have attached a link below of what happens when the lines are pressurized [when bike is running]. I believe it may be the o-ring's on the three way joint. I got a few quotes ranging from $600+ to $100. I do not want to pay ANYONE any amount of money to replace these o-rings if I dont have to. I already ordered & received two full gasket sets from my local dealership. I just have a few questions. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as step by step directions for pulling the carbs out, separating them and syncing (if they absolutely have to be resynced upon separating) Im mechanically inclined so I have faith I can get the job done myself. I just need the best help I can possibly get as far as getting me pointed the right way. I think its probably best that I replace all of the o-rings while I have everything removed. Thank you all in advance. Please help.

Below is the link for the video of my gas leak :

Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

No, I wouldn't pay anyone either. Do you have the manual for the bike ? The instructions for removing them are pretty straight forward. There are many threads here that will have information on removal as well. It's not necessary to sync them if you're careful during the disassembly part. If you've got some specific questions I'm sure I can help. It looks like you're pretty much there for taking them off because you can see them.

Do you Skype ?

Oh, the bottom part is what you need to fix that leak. Two of them.

Name:  DSC04162.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  73.1 KB

Last edited by IDoDirt; 06-09-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added parts.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Thats a real relief to hear. As far removing carefully so i dont need to sync, what do I need to be cautious around? I do not have the manual. Also, Im on a serious time crunch so I dont have time to order one and wait for shipping. I have two of those gasket sets you provided the picture of. I know I can get the job done with the right direction, and no I dont have skype. Any help you can offer would be appreciated greatly. Even if its just a series of youtube videos you could help me track down.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

You can download the Honda Shop manual from Stephy Gee's web site here Stephy G's CBR F4i Page. Follow the procedures there for removing the carbs from the bike, it's in section 5. Take photos of hoses before you take them off so you know where they go back. To replace those O rings, you're going to have to separate the carburetors from each other. You'll want to look closely at the carburetors as they come apart. The screw you see here is one of the synchronizing screws. There is a couple of springs, one of which holds the throttle plate from one carburetor against the sync screw on the carburetor next to it. If you don't turn those screws, then your carburetors should stay pretty close to synchronized.

When you're separating the carburetors from each other, they have to come straight apart. There are 2 metal rods that holds them all together and they're different sizes so you can't mix them up. You'll notice that the nuts on each end are on the shafts about the same amount. Just put them back that way and you'll be fine there.

Name:  1538dfba-806e-4b9a-b0dd-0eaee58ebb0e.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  210.5 KB

Name:  29d0bc61-03d4-48ab-b5fb-1fc5b522b675.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  203.7 KB

Name:  DSC04714.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  87.0 KB

Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Thank you so much for being so descriptive and including pictures. I come with good and bad news. Bad; my T-valve where i was having my leak issues was cracked during the process of placing the carbs back together. So i have a new problem on my hands. I managed to do some quick patching with teflon threading tape and duct tape for the time being til I can get the part ordered to my local shop. The good; i now know exactly how to get the carbs out and apart also getting them back together without damaging anything. I will say the spring on the sync screw was probably the most difficult thing to get back wherr it needed to be. I noticed my carbs are definitely going to be due for a cleaning soon. Ive had a lot of issues with this bike. I cant complain, i bought it for 800$ in not that great of running condition.Unfortunately Im in the process of getting it running tight again and looking nice so that i can sell it. Im moving up in years. Going to be in the market for a 2005+ CBR 1000rr.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

There tends to be a fair amount of corrosion in the holes that the fuel T's fit into and that the O rings need to seal against. I'd suggest using a little scotch-brite or other scouring pad to clean them before reassembling them. That way you're sure they won't leak.

Good luck on your repairs. Glad I could be of assistance.