CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Front tire wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tire wobble

I have a wobble or pull in my front tire and am not sure where to start exactly.

So I had a slight wobble or pull about 4 months ago. I needed new front brakes so was thinking this was the problem. My bike was dropped or wrecked by my cousin (can't seem to get the real story). The bike sat while I was working on it for about 4 months. I finally got it rid-able again. The wobble was worse.

I had changed the front brakes. This is the only thing I changed in the front or back end. Now I know a few things. It could be my wheel bearings. It could be my forks or fork bearings. Could be my alignment or tire.

Now looking from the front I see the gap between the tire and the fork on each side seems a little off. The handlebars do not shake at all. So I am guessing the problem is where the forks start down to the tire.

A new issue arises and could be linked slightly. The back shocks seem to have more give in them and my helmet lock keeps knocking on the tire guard. Alignment in the back looks ok. However I almost feel when trying to shake the tire it has a little give. I can't tell however if this is even accurate given my technique.

I searched and got some info however am still lost. I was thinking to start with changing my wheel bearing. Given this is the cheapest it seems. As well as getting my front tire alignment and balance checked.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by arccra12
Now looking from the front I see the gap between the tire and the fork on each side seems a little off.
That sounds like it could be a wheel spacer problem. Do you have a wheel spacer on each side right inside the fork?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheel bearings
Worn front tyre
Incorrect pressure in tyre
Bent front axle
Fork oil not equal in each fork leg
REAR wheel alignment
Forks twisted
Try those
Plus the wheel spacer

Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM

I do not know if I have front wheel spacers but will check tonight. I have been learning as I go at this point. If I remember what I was looking at I do not think I do have wheel spacers.

My tire pressure did seem low and the outside part of my tire shows some wear as to if my pressure was low. I will check the fork oil as well. I keep looking at it but am not where I can check it or fill it just yet. I also think my back wheel alignment was thrown off. Somehow (I am thinking someone knocked it over) my helmet lock and peg were bent in and catching on my chain guard. I corrected this last night but the original wobble was before this.

Thanks guys I will check back. I may take it down to the shop this weekend. I am behind on funds but alignment problems and such would rather have a pro handle if I can afford it haha

Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by Shadow
Wheel bearings
Worn front tyre
Incorrect pressure in tyre
Bent front axle
Fork oil not equal in each fork leg
REAR wheel alignment
Forks twisted
Try those
Plus the wheel spacer
Pete,
I am not sure that fork oil checking has been very well covered in the 'how to' sections in the forum.
As a wise old wizard, could you enlighten us all in this particular subject please.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easiest way is with a piece of hose and a big, veteranary syringe/turkey baster. Take
off the caps (after supporting the front end), pull the springs (or not, depending on
the bike, check the manual), mark the tube for the correct measurement to the top of
the tubes, that your manual says the fluid level should be. Top off with some extra
fork oil. Then stick the hose into the top of the fork to the mark. Suck out any oil that
is above that level. Procede to next fork...

Ern

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Hey folks,
Just thought I might add to the confusion here. JUST KIDDING. Actually friends, I hope to help out.

I had what sounds like the same symptoms on my brothers '96 F3. The steering was a bit heavy and unsettling at lower speeds. It had what felt like a pull in the direction of the slightest push steer. I found that the steering head bearing preload to be a little tight. I removed a little (I mean a LITTLE) preload from the head bearings and all was perfect! Now, I stress a little adjustment because preload too much, or too little can cause similar poor stability feel. Trust me on that. Have you checked head bearings preload, for slack, or wear? Bearings may need adjustment or replacement.

Also, what year is your bike? To the best of my knowledge, 1991 to 1994 models have 1 right side wheel spacer. 1995 to 1998 have 2 front wheel spacers. If you have 2 spacers, they should be the same so you can't get that wrong. But I personally like to make sure that each spacer is reinstalled in its original position anyways.

As far as fork oil level I would just like to add... I always remove the forks to do this. If I have taken the caps off, I may as well change the oil because it's probably due and always improves performance. Anyways, to check the level the spring remains out of the fork. The level must be checked and adjusted with the slider compressed into the tube. So I then fill the fork (compressed) up to almost the top of the fork. Pump the fork several times and you'll see the level drop as the forks internals are bled free of air. Add more oil (to the top again) and pump some more. I repeat this until the level stops dropping meaning there is no trapped air within the forks ports and passages. Then, with the fork compressed and oil near the top, I proceed with (as Ern had described) sucking the oil out of the fork to the desired level. Do not pour the oil out or you'll get air trapped somewhere and have to start again. When you are at the desired level, drop the spring back in, lube the cap threads and o-ring with fork oil and torque wrence it back together. Oil Levels are 1995-96 117mm, and 1997-98 120mm, measured down from the top of the fork. A 10W fork oil is recommended. I use synthetic but thats up to you and a whole other discussion (synthetic vs. convensional), lol!

Finally, If you have or are going to remove the forks, I would check and align the tripple-clamps. Thats an often overlooked and important part of the process. When that is aligned, then I feel, and only then is it time to properly install and align the forks with eachother and the wheel.

Other than my long winded suggestions, I agree with all the other checks ie. wheel bearings, axle etc.

I hope my experience helps you on your way to fixing up your worthy ride. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Mike

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Oh yeah,
If you have any question due to me confusing you, or need some specs that I might be able to help with, I'd be glad to try as much as others have helped me in this forum.
CBRforum.com is the best!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I have learned a lot with this repair and diagnosing go around. I did some alignment testing via measuring some distances and using strings. I do not have front wheel spacers which is probably where the problem arose.

What I found was the tire is slightly tilted to the right. After cleaning a little to see things better I noticed where the bearings and spacers are there is a small shiny spot where it seems the problem is there. This tilt is making the brakes push to one side more on one caliper. This is also makes it where at all times my brakes are grinding and when it wobbles the rotor rubs against the caliper. I beleive this tilt effected either my bairings or forks. I have not measured yet but my front end adjustment at the triple tree (shiny bars that connect the handle bars to the forks) could be off slightly as well.

I like the mechanical side but when it comes to alignment type stuff I am going to leave it to the professionals and will take it to the shop soon.

Thanks again

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to have someone look at it. If you can't find it, it's best to have someone familiar with it take a look. You would hate to have it go off like a paint shaker at sped.