CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fitting throttle cables at carb end.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Fitting throttle cables at carb end.

I'm in the process of fitting new throttle cables on my 1995 cbr 600F & I have managed (eventually) to connect the push to the carb end but for the life of me I can't get the pull to fit, I've spent ages trying to get it in but there just doesent seem to be enough room to
manouver my hand, I'm toying with the idea of removing the carbs but from what I've read in this forum they can be another pain in the *** to get off, or do you think that removing them is not necessary. Any advice is very gratefully received.

Dave.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 18" long set of forceps I like to use for that sort of thing. But, yeah, that's generally something you take the carbs out to do.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Easiest way is to remove the carbs imho. Good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM

No other way to do it imo. Take the carbs off, I couldn't image trying to get those throttle cables hooked up right without taking them off. When i took my carbs off I had to get a fricken 16 inch long #2 screw driver from sears. HUGE screwdriver. Thats all that would be able to get at those screws. When you get to the point of putting the carbs back on if thats what you decide to do, put the insulator bands on the carbs not the motor, carbs will usually slip right on or at least for me they did. Best of luck.

Last edited by kmanracing24; 06-29-2009 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trowy88 (02-08-2021)
Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

The problem with getting it on the carb side is not enough slack in the cable to get it around easily. Take the clip on off the fork, then take the throttle off the clip on. You can then take the throttle cables off the throttle handle and have plenty of slack to put the cables on the carb end. It's easy to then put the cables on the handle end, then slip the clip on back into the throttle handle, then put the clip on back on the fork.

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It beats taking the carbs off any day.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 AM
March 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by idodirt
The problem with getting it on the carb side is not enough slack in the cable to get it around easily. Take the clip on off the fork, then take the throttle off the clip on. You can then take the throttle cables off the throttle handle and have plenty of slack to put the cables on the carb end. It's easy to then put the cables on the handle end, then slip the clip on back into the throttle handle, then put the clip on back on the fork.

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It beats taking the carbs off any day.
+1

But if you have never removed your carbs it can be a good chance to learn how

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been able to get the cables on with out removing the carbs, but it's a bit of work. You need to take the right handle bar off to get the slack you need. Then install the cables on the carbs first. You'll need a big flat head to hold the carbs in the open position so that you can get the pull cable on and a similar situation with the pull. You'll also need a small tip flat head to move the push the cable ends into place. Once you have the ends in place on the carbs, start putting the the cables through the switch housing. From there you'll have to work getting them onto the throttle tube, but it's not too hard. Lube up the bar and throttle tube with white grease. Once this is done, slip the assembly over the handle bar. Now place the bar back onto the fork and then line the pin in the switch assembly with the hole on the bottom side of the bar. Once you have the pin in, tighten up the screws on the switch housing and tighten down the bar. Now comes the fun part... adjusting the cables.
I like to do a majority of my cable adjustments at the carbs, especially when installing new cables. Tighten down the push cable first and tighten down as tight as you can get it. Now for the pull cable, you on it until it feels like you have a majority of the slack out. Spin the nuts into place. Test the slack on the throttle tube end, you'll want about 1/12 - 1/4 in. of free play. Perform this until you have 1/12 - 1/4 in. free play. Once you have this, tighten down the nuts and you're good to go!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Many thanks for all your replies, Courtney you mention using a large flat head to hold the carbs open, could you please tell me whereabouts you would use that on the carbs as I've had a problem trying to find somewhere to get the cable drum to turn & hold it in that better position so that I can get the nipple in the hole & the cable in the slit. If I was to go down the carb removal road would I have to remove all the pipes & things or just the carbs as is.
Dave.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you follow the throttle adjustment up in between carbs 2 and 3, you'll see the throttle lever that rests on on the throttle stop screw. Take a big flat head and push the carbs open from that spot. Place the small screw tipped screw driver within arms reach. It's a little cumbersome, but holding carbs open, put the end of the pull cable in and with the little flat head, work the cable into place. Once you've got the end in place and the you can pull on the cable to get it seated correctly.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Just to let you know that I finally got that damn cable hooked up today, I bit the bullet & removed the carbs (after a lot of pushing & pulling) & I would just like to thank you all for answering my post. It was all the tips that I gleened from this forum that helped me.

Regards
Dave.

The following users liked this post:
Trowy88 (02-08-2021)