CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 stutters & dies, bogs, running horrible above 5k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, ill look into..if anyone out there knows anything about the IPG what it does, and how to test it. Im sure it will help me and others in the future. In the meantime, I try to figure it out and let yall know how it goes.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Hmm been thinking about your issues for a couple days now. stupid question, but do you have the TPS connected? When i read you worked on the carbs, i figured i would just ask.
Also, do you have the PDF format F3 service manual? The info you want for testing your stator, coils, and IPG are in chapter 16. Keep at it, were rooting for you to fix it!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Yea tpS is all there, when I got the new set of carbs off eBay I even swapped the original tps with the one I got with the carbs from eBay, no change...I even rode with it disconnected a few times to see if anything would change..no dice.

I have the manual, that is my like Bible right now, I read that manual religiously like everyday to see if I missed something.

Ill run the tests for ipg again, this time ill make sure the bike is hot, so the ipg is also hot. I been looking on other forums about other bikes goldwings, fireblades, firehawks they all seem to explain my issues may be related to ipg, but the bikes are different.

The ipg is pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the support, really appreciate it.
I'm not gonna sell her either, I bought her for 1200 bucks and put about 800 or so into her ill never get my money back without taking a loss. She is my first bike so there is some sentimental value to it, Lotta blood and sweat went into her maybe tears to come if I can't get her right. LOL.

My mechanic at work let me borrow is compression tester so that along with ipg testing is to come. I want to count out engine issues first before continuing. But I doubt it she doesn't leaks a drop of oil.
ill keep y'all updated.
Ill update my profile too with pics of her to so yall can see what she looked in better days.
Keep the tips and advice coming..thanks again.

Last edited by djdjsaiaf; 08-29-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM

So here is update,

Rode her around to get her nice and hot, realized the compression tester wont fit my bike, guess its made for cars, oh well, i doubt thats the issue though.

Went ahead and did all the tests for IPG while she still hot, resistance was above normal, then I realized that that the manual has a specific temp range in which to test the IPG, damn, I thought I had it.
So as she cooled down, the resistance slowly decreased and eventually when cool to touch it was in the range specified in manual.
I even hooked up my multimeter and set it to test AC volts and hooked it to the IPG, I then ran a magnet on the metal tip of the IPG, it was showing voltage, it would decrease when I took the magnet off, and Increase when i scraped the magnet on, I dont know what the voltage should be, I couldnt test it with the bike running cause the bike would not run without that. But I assume as long as there is some type of voltage the icm could read it and fire the plugs. So as per manual IPG pass.

Totally lost now....you guys think I should do a fuel discharge volume inspection? to see exactly how much fuel my pump is pumping? It is an aftermarket pump that the PO installed, and I put about 6k on her since I bought her.

I rode my bike and when she started sputtering again, I stopped to check, pump was still clicking and the fuel pump was filled with gas, well almost filled, there was a small air hole near the top, but it was pretty small. I have one of those clear fram filter installed so I can see how much gas is in there.

What about valve clearances? can they cause the problems I am experiencing?
It never had issues before the Oil change and all of a sudden it just started when I overfilled it.

Frustrated and dont know what else to do, will taking her to a shop make a difference?
I called honda and they said they dont do bike over ten years old and referred me to another shop, IDK maybe they can help, but it'll cost.

Help!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM

My bike has 50k on the odometer. If the PO never did valve jobs on her, can this be the root of my issues? Or are my symptoms not related to valves. could they be so out of spec that it is causing my over 6k sputtering?

Currently I am running her without a fuel pump. I have a short hose going from petcock straight to carbs, no fuel filter either so I can get the best out of grav feed, but still same issues. I think I can rule out fuel pump. Or do you think I need a fuel pump, she has a full tank of gas too. Can running on grav feed this way or a bad pump cause these issues?

I need confirmation about fuel pump and valve clearance issues.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM

cbrforum you are my only hope!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run gravity feed on a bike that is supposed to run a pump you may pick up fuel delivery problems. Best way is to fit a pipe that is thicker inside so the fuel gets to the engine the best way possible. Have you checked the internal fuel filter in your tank ?- attached to the petcock I think.(I don't have time to read the whole thread) sorry.
If the fuel filter is partially blocked and you ask the bike for revs, the bike may splutter as she doesn't get enough gas...................
Maybe blow some fuel back up into the tank to see if it will clear any obstruction. If it works you know where the problem lies.
Let us know.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Hi there my friend,i had been having.similar.problem.to.yours,.the.first.issue.w as.that.the.intake valves.were.so tight that compression would.escape...got them into spec and ran.like a raped ape,.then.when.riding.her.she.started.to.sputter and felt.like starving.for.fuel, pukled.over and touched.the.headers,.they werent.as.hot.as.i remembered.they would.get.

So.i rode.hone.and.bike.wouodnt.rev.abobe.6000.rpms.but .i could.feel.the pump,so.got.her.home,took.the.gas.tank.off and.tried.to start.her,it.was.doing.the.same,the.i.sprayed.some .wd40 into.the.carbs throats.and.it.started.to.sound.better,.so it was a fuel issue,.took.the.fuel pump.off.and.tested.it,.it.ran.fine.but when got.her.back into the.bike.it.clicked.sometime.and.sometimes not,so.i.started.looki.g and found.a.faulty.connector,.so.i.fixed.it.and.taaada aa, bike.ran like.it was.supposed.to.

So the.bottomline is.cheeck.if.your.headers.are.getting.hot,if.not.i s.a.fueo.issues( or low.compression,thus.fuel not.getti.g.into your cylinder,.so id.check your fueo.pump(even.if.you think.its.working,.and.check.valve.clearances,.you wont regret it,i net its._ne or the other...good luck.ans report back