CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 stutters & dies, bogs, running horrible above 5k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F3 stutters & dies, bogs, running horrible above 5k rpm

Hey guys i really can use your help here.
I know there are posts similar to mine but
I have yet come to a conclusion.
I have not been able to ride for over a month and its truly killing me!
So heres the Story:

It started when I overfilled the oil when doing an oil change. I rode it about 50 miles before realizing and drained and refilled to proper level.

The problem was still there, checked plugs covered in oil. So I took them out, got new ones and even let the cylinders air our and I also cranked it with out the plugs so oil can shoot out. After few days installed new plugs, same issue.

Started to look at carbs, took them apart cleaned them the 2 times and still no solution. Eventually took the entire carb system apart and used chem dip and replaced float valves too thinking it was a rich issue. Put everything back together, same issue.

Then I bought a nice 98 set of carbs off ebay because then I thought it was a lean issue because, new plugs we not covered in gas or anything, looked pretty brown to me, but I was thinking that my original carbs were not producing the venturi effect with the diaphrams to effectively pull out gas from float bowls. So I got the 98 set off ebay, cleaned and replaced float valves and whatever else we do to carbs. Installed it on my bike and pretty much same issues.

So I think I can conclude that it is not the carbs here.

Started to look at fuel pump. Did all the tests from manual and it passed except where there is supposed to be resistance from the one wire off the fuel cut off relay to ground. This relay is getting power, the manual says to replace the pump if there is no resistance.
I bypassed the pump to gravity feed, now its horrible and low rpm and still crap and high rpm. I put it back to original and hot wired the pump, clicks strong and I have a new clear fuel filter installed that that is always full. Rode her with hot wired pump and still same issues.

Sum up, what she does is at full throttle or even above 1/2 throttle, she will intermittently die and lose power, I would ease off the throttle and rpm would drop and would come back to life, but as soon as I add more throttle to go above 5-6k same thing. If I give her full throttle, sometimes there is no power but would try to stay alive.

New battery and rectifier and charges well. I am now looking a coils.

Checked the resistance of the coils and its at around 14.22 ish for both. However, when I check resistance with spark plug wires on, it is at like 25.66 ish for one and 24.5 ish for other. Since the coils it self are within spec I am now thinking it is a spark plug wire issue, which is not allowing the combined resistance to be within spec. Mind you 25 ohms is max as per manual, so its not off by much. Low sid of coils are 3.1 ohms btw so that is borderline specs.

I need help people! I just cant get it, and looking to sell her, plugs wires for 4 new ones gonna run about 180 from ronayers, but I have been throwing money at her with not remedy. She used to run a little hot before all this occured, recently changed new oem thermostat and engine ice, been in city 90 degree traffic, seems fine now. I only ride her like in town now and cant even ride her hard, have to quick shift and cant go over like 65 at 5k rpm at 6th gear, this is not how she is meant to be ridden.

I dont think compression is an issue, no mixing of oil and coolant and at idle exhaust gases are pretty invisible.

Please help!! I am new here. I have been contemplating to take her to honda, but I dont want a list of things that "could be" wrong, I need a definite answer.

Thanks all!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check your airfilter
Sometimes if you overfill, the crankcase pressure will push the oil into your airfilter..............and reduce your airflow.
The other one to look at would be a blocked/partially blocked tank vent pipe.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM

I did all of that, paper filter is still dry, no signs of oil in airbox. Tank is breathing well, I even puposely spilled gas in overflow and it came out the bottom, no intrusions there.

Let me try to explain again:

She will ride well under 5k rpm. Anything over it sputters to try to get to higher rpms. Sometimes there is no power at WOT, electric system is still on, as soon as I let go of throttle, engine comes back to life, give her more throttle, It will jerk as in getting intermittent amounts of power. I have to pull in the clutch let it idle for a sec and keep her below 5k rpm for it to be normal. I dont get it, only happens when there is load. When I am riding and this problem occurs, I can pull in the clutch and it will rev to redline, this is all happening at 50-60 mph.

Help!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Thinking back on what you said about the oil in air filter, the only way I see oil being able to get in the airbox is through the rubber hose on the bottom of the airbox connected to the top of the valve cover, the hose is a little oily, but the filter is dry as sand. Come to think about it, when I first removed the carbs, there was a little oil there also.

My question is can the opening on the valve cover be clogged in any way? Not from the hose itself, becasue that is easy to diagnose, but from the metal tube that the hose goes on top that is on top of the intake, can whatever that leads to be clogged not letting in air to the upper part of the engine? I seems like if thats the issue, Maybe it can give me the problems I am experiencing.

Help, dont wanna sell her, but summer is quickly leaving and she will be hard to sell in colder months!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM

disconnect the 2 wire electrical connector from the air solenoid and see if it runs any better

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 PM

I dont have that, my carbs are get air direct form the box, no electricals there, its free flowing/ bypassed.

IDK what to do, contemplating to see if going to a bike shop will actually help. Will keep updated.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM

my jets are stock 135s on the outer and 138s inner, all stock except for air solenoid bypass.

Can free flowing air vent filters, ie. the small filters that the ram air connects to then outputs to the air tubes connections on the carbs cant they cause these major issues I am experiencing?

I say free flowing because when I look through one side of the air vent filter, I can clearly see the other side, I dont really see how it can be a filter if there is no paper in there. So as of right now I guess, air is flowing un-restricted from ram air box to the carbs. I do have a paper filter in the main box. Its the smaller filters in question here.

But these problems where never here before, and I the filters were always the same, and before it was ran well, so I think were chasing a dead lead here.

The problems occured right after I overfilled the oil. I iver filled it by maybe half a quart or so, not too much, but enough to cover plugs in oil, which I promptly changed...

Help!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM

Have you blown thru the hoses are they clear maybe some if the foam that should have been in the filters made its way in the tubes. Something is clearly not keeping up or the unrestricted air is causing problems with the diaphragms at speed

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM

I'm gonna take apart the whole ram air system and check all the hoses tomorrow, ill keep u updated.
Going hack to overfilling the oil though, the only way oil can get to the intake is through the breather on top of the intake, well when I got home I had light bulb moment, I physically blew air into that intake port on top of the valve cover, and it was clogged, air would.not go in, I even sucked it..no homo, little desperate after a month of riding..but air would not go in or out, gonna look into that tomorrow. Seems clogged top of the engine is no breathing right maybe, or it might open up when the engine is actually running, gonna try blowing her intake top with her running...yea I know his that sounds..w.e. comments welcome I still need all the tips I can get.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

From what the manual shows that should be open and maybe the cause of your problems but if your crankcase cannot vent then I would expect other leaks as well from pressure build up.

Quick Reply: F3 stutters & dies, bogs, running horrible above 5k rpm