CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 Fuel Problem - Flooding carbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 Fuel Problem - Flooding carbs

.This is on my track bike and here is the history,after running a bit the overflow lines get filled up w/ fuel and flood s the bike and fouls the plugs. I have pulled,cleaned and redone the carbs with the same results.Used 2 other sets of known good carbs and 2 different fuel pumps and it seems the fuel pump is just overpowering the carbs.(plugs have been changed 3 times)I pulled the fuel pump and it seems to run better and does not flood out anymore but seems to be starving for fuel on the top end when under load but may need to change plugs again since pulling the fuel pump.Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an alt fule pump that can be used to not deliver 6-8 psi like the stocker say may 2-3 instead or is it even needed for the track.The bike is jetted with a D&D as well.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Default RE: F3 Fuel Problem - Flooding carbs

If its starving for fuel up top then richen the main jets.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 PM

are u still running the air sileniod valve, if so is the air hose connected to the air valve filled with gas when u pull it....

Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Yes the air hose that basically connects to the carbs and runs around the tank does fill with gas when the fuel pump is installed after running about 5 minutes but does not when it is pulled.I am already running 138s and 140s as well as 40 slow jets.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:04 AM

i had this problem recently..when it floods out i pulled out the air sileniod valve and it will have gas in it ....i 've tried everything step by step 1.make sure your hoses aren't clogged or disconnected 2. make sure the air sileniod valve isn't clogged or change it if u have a spare 3. you cdi box might be damaged...I'm on step three change it out with my older one which was a f2 one got the f3 one cause of all the mods (just felt like doing it )..I guess when i wrecked my bike the f3 cdi box got ruined its been four days and nothing yet so far, got to one point where it wanted to flood up again after two days but went away when i got home..if it does it again i'm trying the stage 2 carb settings cuase now i'm running DJ138s and DJ140s with the air mixture screw all the way in.....going to try the 134s and 136s when i dont know yet.....

Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 AM

Yes i checked all the lines and they are no clogged but do fill up with fuel when using the fuel pump,I also changed in known good coils and spark box as well.I will change the plugs again friday and test them at trackday at TWS saturday,but anymore ideas are welcome.Are you running your fuel pump?

Old 04-13-2006, 07:17 PM

yeah.....i installed the f3 petcock to use the fuel pump.........

Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 AM

I already have the F3 petcock since it is an F3 but the stock pump just seems to be too much.I'll know more in 2 days i guess.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Float needles most likely.Cheap fix,also I run my race bike without a fuel pump with no problems.Mine burnt up at the Nationals and I just took it off and have been running it that way since.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 AM

One other thing Lakota.Pull your dipstick and see if it smells like gas.If so change it and while Im not an expert on the solenoid valve because that is bypassed on mine,I have experienced the same exact problems.When your getting gas in the air box or hoses you have a float or floats sticking.Sometimes you can gently lay the bike down on its side and it will unstick it,but it will be temporary I assure you.

Take the airbox top and filter off.Undo the boots to the engine and leave the throttle cables hooked up.Pull the carbs and turn them over.Cover the intake on the head with rags.Take the float bowl covers off and hold the carbs up sideways.Gently tilting them back and forth and watch the floats.You can usually tell which ones are sticking.Probably the float needles causing this.Just replace.If the same ones still do it you may want to replace the floats,or you can just gently file a little of the ends of the plastic off at the pins that keep them captive.

And while you have them off,unless you live in Alaska,undo those pesky float bowl heater hoses and bypass.Rock-on

Quick Reply: F3 Fuel Problem - Flooding carbs