CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 for $2000?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI: If you find a Smokin' edition in good shape, the plastics are worth a ton compared to other models. A lot of times you can sell or trade the plastics for your pick of the litter. Just a heads up.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Ah didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. So if I didn't prefer the look, but could find one cheap, I could sell the fairings and replace them for something I preferred. Hmm.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 AM

I spent 4 months trying to find my F3, (I was bent on finding the Ross white and red color scheme) if you go to crazedlist.org it will let you search multiple areas on craigslist at a time,saves a lot of time, I found mine in Las Vegas, took a buddy's truck on an 17 hour round trip drive but got my bike for $2,000 with a ton of mods already on it and some extra stuff... might be helpful ... good luck!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the advice, I also meant to ask in regards to that, once I do purchase a bike, if it is too far, how(if I have a trailer) should I go about transporting it? I've seen someone before who just had the bike on its kickstand and then had it tied down on 4 sides. Is that a safe way to do it? Thanks

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do that. I did but it was only bout 2 miles away and I was constantly looking at the rearview mirror during the 20 mph ride back to my house.

For a real distance, I'll just say this: U-Haul rents motorcycle trailers very cheap

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the advice again. I'm just curious as to how espelade did it for a 17 hour trip. I've seen it done many times, just curious to exactly how. Would bike stands be an even safer option for a trailer? I will be bringing this bike down to college with me next fall and if I can perfect a method now sooner than later that would be great.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparks
Thanks for the advice, I also meant to ask in regards to that, once I do purchase a bike, if it is too far, how(if I have a trailer) should I go about transporting it?
What's too far ? Take a look at these locations.

Minniapolis, MN CBR 1000F
Bristol, TN CBR600F3
Millwaukee, WI CBR600F3
Syracuse, NY CBR600F3

These are all locations where I just flew there, picked up the bike, and rode them home here to S. FL.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Well, I'm not particuraly sure, being off a bike for about 4 months now, I want to travel a long distance on a new bike. I'm coming off a lower powered 250, and I wanted to get the bike home first then start practicing with it around my neighborhood. Call me over cautious, but its what I wanted to do. I'm hoping to find something in my immediate area, but right now there aren't too many options.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Despite the worrying I did, my bike wouldn't have tipped over even if the truck had flipped. What I did was get it onto the truck leaned onto the kickstand. Then I used ratcheting tie-downs looped through the frame, using counter-tension to hold her in place.

ie: strap through the front right side of the frame to the rear left of the truck, front left to rear right, rear left of frame to front right of truck and right rear to front left. Tightened those straps down then one more strap looped around the frame at the seat area and tied down at the center of the truck. The bike was completely immobilized by the time I was done, even accounting for the suspension system kicking in on road bumps.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Oh yeah one more thing:

If you go the "DIY in the bed of a truck" route, do not buy cheap tie-downs. You're looking at 400+ lbs subjected to unknown shear forces. The $20 pack of 6 tie-downs at U-Haul will prolly have the bike airborne on the first good turn

Quick Reply: F3 for $2000?