CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   F3 for $2000? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/f3-2000-a-103038/)

Sparks 11-08-2009 06:36 AM

F3 for $2000?

I am planning to purchase my 2nd bike sometime in April or May of 2010. I had a Ninja 250 for about 7 months and sold. Very excited to upgrade. Unfortunately I'll only have around $2000. From what I've seen on craigslist it looks like I can get a good deal on a F3 for that kind of money. Any opinions on what should be my mileage limit? I've seen F3's with 31k, 20k, and all for the same price of exactly $2000.

tl;dr- upgrading, $2000 to spend, F3 mileage limit for $2000, opinions.

IDoDirt 11-08-2009 06:56 AM

Although mileage that is low can be a good indication as to how good of a bike it might be, don't let it be the main focus. The actual condition of the bike needs to be your guide. My wifes bike is a 97 F3 with 47,700 miles on it. I'd bet that it's in better condition than most bikes with 10,000 miles on it.

Its all in how the bike is maintained. How did you maintain your 250 ? Did you wash it ? Keep the tires inflated properly ? Did you lube the chain ? Did you do the regular maintenance on it like oil changes, filter changes, brake fluid flush's. What's the overall apearance of it ? Has it been wrecked ? These are all things to consider. Remember that no matter what, F3's are all somewhere between 11 and 14 years old. If they sat around for long periods of time, they get gummed up and are subject to dry rot. So, low mileage is not always an indication.

CBRfenatic93 11-08-2009 07:16 AM

I know your not a first time buyer but this guide should help you inspect the bike to see if its worth it. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/first-time-buyers-advice-102645/

Sparks 11-08-2009 09:29 PM

Well I might as well be a first time buyer because I bought the Ninja 250 new. I don't have the money for a new 600cc, and I'm still not sure I want that kind of power. I like the prices that I've found and the look of the F3's and they seem to be very reliable when well maintained as you two have mentioned. Thanks for the link and the feedback. Hope to join the Honda community soon.

96@cbr 11-09-2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt (Post 855791)
Although mileage that is low can be a good indication as to how good of a bike it might be, don't let it be the main focus. The actual condition of the bike needs to be your guide. My wifes bike is a 97 F3 with 47,700 miles on it. I'd bet that it's in better condition than most bikes with 10,000 miles on it.

Its all in how the bike is maintained. How did you maintain your 250 ? Did you wash it ? Keep the tires inflated properly ? Did you lube the chain ? Did you do the regular maintenance on it like oil changes, filter changes, brake fluid flush's. What's the overall apearance of it ? Has it been wrecked ? These are all things to consider. Remember that no matter what, F3's are all somewhere between 11 and 14 years old. If they sat around for long periods of time, they get gummed up and are subject to dry rot. So, low mileage is not always an indication.

agreed

mr_santini 11-09-2009 02:03 PM

Good choice to look at an F3 with the budget you're talking about. Everyone has offered some good opinions on what to check. It can be tough at first, especially if you're purchasing it from a stranger, but don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and test things out. If the seller gets antsy about these topics it may be a sign to wait for another ride. Remember that it's your bike and your money.

Also, check out the newest Sport Rider, there is a decent write up on the F3!

NYKnick1015 11-09-2009 02:11 PM

i agree with mileage... if you see a bike with high mileage, dont be turned off, that ususally means that its been running well, and the owners trust and ride it well often... that usually means a quality bike... maybe some fixins here and there but those are usually not much... also if bikes have been droped, that is a big factor

Sparks 11-09-2009 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I read the thread that Fenatic posted, seems like a good guide. Might even print that out and bring a friend with me that's had quite a few bikes. Super excited to upgrade to a 600cc and join the Honda Community(although I never liked Honda cars-sorry :))

Shopshirt 11-10-2009 10:51 PM

The Sport Rider write up is really good! I moved up from a 06 500r to the f3. Did an even swap at a dealership for a 98 with 8000 miles on it. Only thing I've had to do to it is replace the rectifier. The f3 is a night and day comparison to the 500r. I really love it.

Sparks 11-11-2009 09:17 PM

Sounds great, I'm hoping to find a "plain" colored F3. Not really into the Smokin Joes or alot of the color combo's. But, I won't pass up something that is in good condition and a reasonable price, despite the colors.