Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First time buyers advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First time buyers advice

I have had a few friends who have recently bought bikes come up to me and ask for tips on what to look for or if I could go with them while buying a used bike. It seems I have been the guinea pig since I got a crap bike due to the fact I had no idea what to look for. But since then I have become much more knowledgeable about what to look for and some common problems that can be avoided with the right care. So my goal in this thread is to make a onetime thread about what to look for when buying used so that new people won’t(or cautiously) buy a bike that has big issues or may soon run into a lot of problems. Please add in with experience you have had. I’ll just start with problem categories that I have experience in.

REMEMBER
You are buying used so don’t expect a stallion if you are only paying for a donkey.
Also anything you find wrong has a price. NEGOTIATE unless you have mad money. In that case hit me up so we can be friends.

Before you go see the bike
Look up some info on the bike. See how much slack should be in the chain. What type of problems normally occur with the year and model. Get to know the bike you just might purchase before you go out with no knowledge like I did.

First look
When you first walk up and see the bike look under it to see if there is any fluid. (oil, coolant, etc) A tip is to look around where they have it parked too. The owner may be shady and had just moved the bike a few mins before you got there. Get on your knees and feel around for leaking fluid. If there are leaks decide if it would be an easy fix. Does it just need a new o-ring or gasket or is the metal cracked? Did they torque it down too much and break the cover? Or did they not torque it down enough?
When you sit on the bike make sure the handle bars are straight? When they are look to see if the wheel is also straight. If not it may have been dropped before.
Ask how often they changed the oil and filter.

Throttle
Twist the throttle a little and it should snap back into the starting position when you let go. If it doesn’t it could be a damaged cable, It could have been dropped on that side, Or if they just put new grips on it they may have pushed them on to far to where it grips the throttle box like my guy did.

Tires
This link seems pretty good on how to check tires.
http://www.cyclemaintenance.com/tires/tires.htm

Cooling system
Ask how long ago the coolant system was flushed. Depending on amount of riding about once every 1-2 years is pretty good.
Check coolant reservoir. It should be where ever the bottle indicates is normal.
Check all hoses. Squeeze them to see if they crack or are hard and crusty around edges.
Check to see if the water pump is working. With the bike cold or somewhat warm slowly take off the radiator cap. Where some sunglasses or safety glasses. Start the bike and look inside(where you took the cap off the radiator hose) to see if any fluid flowing. (you may have to give it a little gas to get the water pump moving). If no fluid is flowing allow the bike to warm up a little more so the thermostat opens. Another way to check is to feel the hose while the bike is on. You should feel fluid moving through the hose.

Chain
Is the chain rusty? Dry? Dirty?
Does it have too much slack?
Are the sprockets bent or worn beyond normal?
Link to a bad sprocket- http://www.dansmc.com/wornsprocket.jpg
Link to a good sprocket- http://image.ec21.com/image/nashyang/oimg_GC03041589_CA03041625/Motorcycle_Sprocket.jpg

Brakes
“The myth regarding the color of brake fluid can quickly be solved in that this is not an indicator of the brake fluids quality. The color of several brake fluids can change naturally when the fluid is in contact with the brake systems rubber components. Tests that have been carried out shown that dark is still good and light amber fluid was poor.” I found that piece of info online and have heard it a few times so I figured it should be somewhat accurate.
Ask the owner when the fluid was last changed?
Take the caps off the reservoirs and look for foreign material. There shouldn’t be any.
If they won’t let you test drive it ask if you can flat foot it just to see how the brakes are. They should feel smooth and not spongy.
Wiggle the calipers to see if anything is loose. When I wiggled mine the caliper came off!!!

Wires
Check any wires you can see to see if they are in bad shape.

Signals and lights
Make sure the signals work as well as the headlights and brake lights.

Fairings
Give them a light jerk to see if they come off. If they do look for broken tabs, missing bolts.

That’s about all I have and I know there is more out there so let’s help some people get their first bike with confidence.

Last edited by CBRfenatic93; 10-28-2009 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Added
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done lad,good post!
You might like to include;
1. Remove the dipstick,smell it for Banana type odour,yes the fruit.[they mash it into the engine oil to hide the noises coming from the Engine].
2.Check the Ignition key is the correct one ,not loose[will fall out during your ride unnoticed,then your stuffed.
3.Fuel,tap works in all its positions....

Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 AM

Thanks.

I thought about adding it in there but ill let them read the thread. That way youll get your credit. Or should i just update it every few days to add the info others have posted so that the new buyers dont have to scroll through?

They really mash a banana in there?! WTF

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Yeah man,in a Melbourne Bike dealer[s] they do the mash,true.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 AM

Thats horrible. Sounds like a bad biker ****. Shoving a banana in my bike! How the hell do people come up with that crap? haha

Also should i update the first part or just let them read through the thread?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Thats horrible. Sounds like a bad biker ****. Shoving a banana in my bike! How the hell do people come up with that crap? haha

Also should i update the first part or just let them read through the thread?
You could compress it into a single link?Just my 2c bro

Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 AM

If only i knew what that meant. haha

Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM

I would add, under your mention of the color of fluids, that a lite color in brkae fluid can indicate water in the resevoir/lines. I found this in mine after I bought it accompanied by sludge in the resevoir. The cause was improper seating of the caps which allowed the entry.Simple fix, completely flush it. The color is a dark copper instead of the "close to black" of good fluid.And yes, the ole banana trick is what a lot of car sellers will do. also in the transmission.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Fork seals, check all fluids, underside of engine for oil spatter/signs of cleaning of oil splatter.

I always like to start stuff COLD. I hate it when I show up and the toy has been run and is warmed up (makes me suspicious).

Check all hard components for signs of damage (forks, steering tree, frame). Make sure VIN matches title and make sure there is no lien on the title and no stray signatures, etc.... that could render it void (if available).

Old 10-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Good stuff guys. Keep the info coming

Quick Reply: First time buyers advice