CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Engine Question need rebuilt or new????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Question need rebuilt or new????

I need a new or rebuilt engine, My bike has been dropped on the stator side so many times that I just can not get it to stop leaking. The mechanic that was working on my bike put to much heat to the casing trying to fix a leak as he claimed. He managed to take a plug out of the flange and now there is no way in the world its going to stop leaking.

Can anyone tell me of a good honest place to purchase a rebuit or newer engine? I was wondering can I use a CB 600 hornet engine?

I could buy a lower casing but I don't feel like ripping into the engine and if I put the bike in the shop it would cost me a arm and leg. So I will just swap it myself.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the stator cover that is leaking? Any pics?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Ya, i'm going to ask the obvious question here too. You meen that you have finnally managed to damage not just the cover but have now damaged the engine cases too, right (they make heavy duty after market covers for meat heads like us you know)?

Don't know of anyone in particular but i've always had good luck w/ salvaged engines. Think there is one in the for sale section right now.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Yes the engine case stator cover mounting holes are in bad shape. The flange on the engine case where the stator cover mounts has a plug in it. The mechanic put to much heat on the chasing trying to fix a leak and he really messed it up.

Some mounting holes on the engine chasing are striped and there is multiple case cracks around several mounting holes. It beyond repair and needs to be replaced with a new casing. My camera is broken and my cell phone takes bad pictures.

No matter what I do to try to fix the leaking it gets worse so I am just going to replace the case. When I bought the bike it had been in a wreak and I rebuilt it and always had a little leaking which was no problem. Then it was knocked over when I had it parked in front of a store, then I low sided the bike on the same side.

I live in south korea and the mechanic here are like back yard mechanics. He messed up my bike but I not going to get upset about it because of his bad workmenship. You have to be standing over these guys when they are working on your bike because when I give these guys my bike they never do what I ask they do what they want and mess it up. I am ready to come home back to the states.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Just an FYI...You mentioned earlier about buying a lower casing. Unless it has exact same main bearing codes as your present bottom case, it won't work. Keep searching ebay. Every once in a while you run across a set pretty cheap.