CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cooling Problem on '96F3, Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Problem on '96F3, Please HELP!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new and 'just got an ol' 1996F3 3 weeks ago with 23miles on the clock. Iwould like to consult anyone here with my problem... here it goes:

The first time i drained the coolant i noticed white thick fluid flowed out. i was thinking this could be because the bike has been left-out for quite sometime and assumed that it was normal.

So i did a +100miles ride and i had to stop becausethe bike is already spilling-off the same fluid (at least from the looks) from the coolant reservoir - i told myself that probably the radiator is clogged and the heat needs to be released, this time at the weakest part - through reservoir cover... the temp dial did not rise btw, only about a 1/10 of the range only plus the fan works perfectly... I have managed to go home after filling fresh water, but that was just 15kms only.

And so I cleaned it again, drained the coolant and flushed the radiator. A week later, another 100miles test ride and dang! it happened again....

Any idea what's happening in my bike? Ignition is very good... accelaration is fair, and the engine sounds ok also.... I'm just wondering why this is happening... I fear that this can happen again so i refrained riding her since.

Is it possible that the engine oil spills into the coolant? I did check the water pump and found find it suspicious that the rubber bushings on the shaft is attached the otherway around... i was thinking that oil sips through rubber in the pump shaft and make its way to the coolant, creating this thick white fluid...

PLEASE help, I need more insightsif its worthwhile to replace the bushings and or are there more things to consider....

Iwant to use the bike again, but at this point I am hesistant to do it still...

Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Default RE: Cooling Problem on '96F3, Please HELP!

Thats a good lookin F3 looks just like mine. Yes oil can enter the coolant, this is usually associated with a blown head gasket, but it wouldn't be white, the oil would bead up in the resivior, changing the color to black. Have you checked your oil? how does it look? Maybe check the thermostat [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 AM

this is just going with what mccannf3 said. If there is a blown head gasket I think you would see blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you turn the bike on....but I am not sure

But the White stuff is mystery to me man...I hope someone on here has an answer for ya, cause i've never personally heard of anything like that. And I agree that is a sharp lookin bike you have

Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 AM

Thanks guys....

the oil looks good... clear and clean still ('changed it actually before riding the bike, and up to now she's still clean).
i'm beginning to think of experimenting - boiling part ofoil (from what's inside the engine) and a part of the coolant just to confirm if indeedthe white stuff is from same components....

thermostat is good, even sending units are new....

'talking about exhaust, i don't observe any abnormality actually... still clear also, and the engine starts remarkably good....would ablown gasketresult only a blue smoke, or would also include bad start-up and running condition?

TIA!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reckon your probably right about the radiator blockage, but also consider the themostat and the radiator cap as well, both can cause the same probs, radiator cap won't allow the system to pressurize properly, and allow fluid to blow back, while a dickie thermo will not open enough when the correct temp is reached. (strangles the system) causing it to over heat. both are relativly easy to check.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Acompression check of all four cylinders will let you know if there is a blown head gasket. What probably happened is the old coolant was in the bike for too long and has plugged up the cooling system. I have seen cars where the cooling system is completely plugged with a mud like substance that is a rust color. It will collect on the walls of the water jackets, radiator, and everything else which completely plugs up the cooling system. Same principle behind the building up of plaque on artery walls. The old coolant in the bike might have begun to coagulate because of corrosion deposits in the cooling system. I would continue to run water through the cooling system to flush out as much debris as you can. Drain the bike from its lowest point, the water pump. I would remove hoses instead of using the drain bolt because this would allow more room for any blockage to flow out. Maybe take your radiator to a radiator shop and see if they can flush it for you. While you have hoses disconnected, look inside them. This might give a clue as to whatwhite stuff is. This is out on a limb, but my guess isthe white stuffis corrosion from aluminum.A property of aluminum oxideis a white color.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Thank you very much for all the replies.... You were all nice and patient for a neubie question, I'm really glad I have joined this forums....it's been a while though that i have visited.
i had the bike fixed a week ago and surprisingly it was not in the radiator nor the pump - IT's inside the oil cooler where the exchange happens, a classic case of worn-out rubbers. I've ran a hundred miles since and everything is a-ok now.

I hope the next post i can post some pictures.

MORE POWER to everyone!