CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

cleaned my carburetors and not my bike wont idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned my carburetors and not my bike wont idle.

I took my carburetors off my 98 honda cbrand cleaned them. i put the carbs back on and hooked everything up. I noticed that the throttle was alittle tight. checked to see if anything was kinked and all was clear. tryed to adjust the cables where they connect to the carb but dont know what cable does what. should i adjust the top of bottom throttle cable and which way to achieve the proper free play in the throttle. i need to loosen the throttle. when i had it all hoooked up the choke was a little tight also but i think i have fixed that now. The bike would not idle either, i had to give it a little gas and then it would stay at the same rpms if i kept the throttle steady. as soon as i let of the throttle though the engine will die but will start right up if i give it some gas. It would idle just fine before i took the carbs off. anybody have any suggestions?? Thanks. this is my first bike so just trying to learn

Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: cleaned my carburetors and not my bike wont idle.

First off, on the throttle cable. I just cleaned them on my wifes F2 so I know what you're talking about. Your first instinct is to adjust the throttle cable locks to take up the slack in the cables. If you do that, it puts too much tension on the cables sliding through the sleeve. You have to loosen up on the cable adjusters down by the carburetors, not up at the hand grip. Having a little slack in the cable (the inside wire) is ok, remember that these cables are only being pulled on, they don't get pushed on from the other end. Once you loosen it up, it will be free again.

As for the idle, it's most likely that you just need to re-adjust the idle speed with the **** to increasethe idle speed again. Also make sure you haven't left some vacuum hose disconnected somewhere. If you've got the shop manual, look throught the reinstallation steps to make sure you've put all the hoses back where they should be. I'm also assuming that during your cleaning process that you didn't separate the carburetors from each other. If you did, then you have to synchronize them. If you didn't take them apart from each other, you should resynchronize them anyway just to be sure. On my wifes, when I put them back on, the balance was a little off between the left pair and right pair.