CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Choke Is Choking Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok so when i go start my bike with the choke to low it fires right up. After a few minutes it warms up,, idles higher,, and as soon as i switch it to high the bike dies. And will NOT start oh high even after the bike is warm. Anybody run into this??

*Update* I pulled the air box cover, black cover and I saw that its moving left and right, but seems loose when I move it to high like its not releasing all the way. Can I just spray some lubricant on it? Or how can I tighten it

Last edited by IDoDirt; 12-24-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm not entirely following you on the Low High thing. If you're referring to the position of the Choke lever, then with it in the UP position or High, that is the normal RUN position for it. If the engine doesn't run in that position after warming up, then your idle jets are most likely clogged. Rotating the lever to the Down or Low position is engaging the choke/enrichment system allowing fuel into the engine. Once it warms up, the engine RPM rises.

The carbs are going to need to be cleaned thoroughly, paying close attention to the idle circuits. I've known people, including myself that have had to pull and clean the carbs 3 times in order to get them cleaned properly.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention i found a flap of rubber in the way of the choke piece that moves from side to side blocking it from moving all the way to the left. My bike will run with the choke on "Down Position" and once it warmed up and revs get higher when i switched the choke off "up position" like normal the bike would die. Havent tried it since i moved this piece. All my fairings are off at the moment and its been raining too much for a test with just the tank

Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well, let us know. It might have been that and now it's fine.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM

****UPDATE**** Put my tank on,,, no start... turn but no start. So i pulled plugs,, WET and FOULED. And while starting it would leak gas out the left side of the carb vent? Swapped the plugs with iranium ngk. Tried starting with diff techniques and she fired up. roughly but fired up. So its running and gas is still dripping out of the left side vent. hmm idk. but i switched the choke off and it died.... the same reason i had it parked, So i remembered the idle screw. I turned it up and switched to high. still running. But idles waaayyy to high/higher than before. So im tuning it down and its like the idle screw has somewhat a mind of its own. Maybe this was my problem?? Idk. And then the bike was shooting flames out of the tailpipe for a brief moment,, scary. So anybody have any input/help???

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

The same reason you had it parked ? What's the history on the bike ? How long has it sat ? When was the last time it ran correctly ?

My best guess is the carburetors are clogged and need to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM

I say almost a month from today sitting. It rode great before. Then one day the throttle started feeling weird/ barely pulling and my whole cluster stopped working lights and all "another thread". So i sputtered to the side of the highway and it shut off.. wouldnt start with the choke off. But i switched the choke down to the on position and she fired right up. And i drove it like that to my job, about a mile away. And i had it towed home. Then i puled my fairings, painted most of them, and this is where im at. Ive had it for about 2 months. Before a good friend of mine had it for about 2 months too but he was going to basic and had bought a 2002 f4i and sold the f3 to me for a price i couldnt beat. I mean we rode together plenty of times. He's done an oil change, bought a new batt, and took care of it when he had it. I was avoiding pulling the carbs but with this whole experience ive gotten use to pulling stuff off this bike. Ive seen DIY for cleaning them but its the jetting im not sure of,, You have any idea why the fuel is leaking out the vent?? And also he put a fuel pump from an old accord on the bike lol. Works like a charm before, so idk how that would be an issue now....

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Udate,, Cleaned the carbs, Putt it back together, purrs like a lion. Found alot of dirt gunked in the carbs on the metal plates with the 2 lines coming through it.