General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 CBR 600RR choking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2003 CBR 600RR choking

I am have problems with my 03 RR. The bike will run fine as long as it wants to it seems. Starts up every time on the first try but. Sometimes when I am riding it, it loses power to the throttle. Wont rev past 9grand almost as if it is choking out. But it is not consistent at all for me to think it would be fuel related.

Some history: The bike has been sitting for 2 years give or take. With all of the fluids intact never started just sat there

Things I have done: Drained all of the fluids and replaced them. Removed the gas tank to clean the rust out of it replaced the fuel pump.

Anyone that has any advise i would really appreciate it so I can stop scratching my head and go riding.

Dakota

Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Quick off the cuff reply would be that your carbs are probably gunked up. But I don't have any idea whether the 03 is a fuely or not.

If your bike is fuel injected I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable than I on that subject.

If you do have carbs, first try adding a full can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas. If no improvement, you will most likely have to clean your carbs.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM

Thank you for your advise but . Yes my bike is fuel injected and kicking my butt. I have gone through everything I can think of. I guess I might have to take it to the dealer.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM

OK so I have been looking into this a little more.. Thought maybe that the bike was running to hot not completely sure what the normal run temp is but I would assume as long as I stay under 220 I should be good to go ? I tried the kickstand switch to see if that was one of the problems but no luck. Still open to any help anyone can offer

Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM

I would rule out the kickstand switch. Normally if that malfunctions, it completely cuts out, not just a high rpm problem. But since you are there, make sure your spring on the kickstand has enough tension to keep the kickstand up. Sometimes, a weak spring can allow the kickstand to drop down with bumps and kill the engine. But it doesn't sound like your issue, just something to keep in mind.

I would lean towards the Fuel Pressure Regulator as a possibility. They aren't common to go bad on the RR's, its more of an F4i thing, but they can and do go bad on the RR's as well. You can remove the vacuum line from the FPR and see if there is gas present. If there is, the FPR is failing. Another sign of the FPR failing is really poor mpg.

I will say that I had what sounds like the same exact problem on my wifes R6 a few years back. It turned out one the coils went bad. I found it by measuring the resistance of the coil and found one out of spec. Swapped it out and the bike ran flawless.

You may also want to consider the plugs being bad. If they had ever fouled out, they will never be the same and can randomly foul. What happens is the electrical system of motorcycles is just barely strong enough to handle the spark with high compression. Factor in a weak plug and high rpms, and the plug can't always keep up. Then you get the random bog high rpms.

your temp sounds fine. these bikes run a bit on the hot side. As long as your fan is kicking on and the temp doesn't go above 225 or so, you should be fine. If its in the 230 area, you need to shut it down.

Other things you may want to add to help people here diagnosis the issue are:
how many miles on the bike,
has it ever been layed down,
was it in cold storage
what modifications have been done to it, (lighting, electrical,..ect)

the one thing that is a big concern though is the fact you mentioned there was rust in the tank. There should never be rust in the tank. If there is, it more than likley ran through the fuel system and could have potentially damaged the injectors. If there is still signs of rust in the tank, get a new tank and chuck that one in the scrap.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Justasquid

Thank u for you advice I apologize that I have not seen it earlier. It started to seem as if this forum would provide no help. But I think that the ideas you provided should help out. The bike has 17000 on it. It was in a garage for storage. I will look at the FpR and the sparkplugs hopefully I won't get as far as the Injectors I know that will get expensive. nothing is done to the bike but a slip-on Two white bros exhaust

Thanks again

Dakota