CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

charging system trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system trouble

Sup, I have a 95 model f3. The problem I'm experiencing is that the bike is losing battery voltage till cuts off. I can run it for about ten to twelve miles before it cuts off. Well this is not a new problem. It all started back in June. I ran out of battery and I thought that it was the battery and replaced it. Then it broke down again so after trial and error I changed the rectifier/regulator. The bike worked fine for two weeks and started again. From advice and diagnostics from a friend we narrowed down the problem to the stator. OK. Cool then.... After changing the stator I noticed the stator plug burnt. Cool maybe that stator wasn't even bad. So given I had already bought a new one so might as well install it right. Cool. Well I rode for about a week. Then the same **** happened again. I lost battery voltage. So now I really don't know what is going on because I basically replaced the whole charging system right? Well that is my question guys. What am I doing wrong with this. I'm going crazy.. Please help

Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: charging system trouble

The charging circuit is very susceptible to even small amounts of resistance introduced due to corroded or loose connections. Heat builds up across the resistance which causes even more resistance. The regulator over compensates which further complicates the situation.

I’ve seen this on several of the ‘project bikes’ I’ve picked up and rebuilt. In my opinion the best way to solve this is to get rid of the plug connectors that are in the charging circuit. Go to Radio Shack and buy a good high wattage soldering iron, solder, and some good quality heat shrink. Some building supply companies and hardware stores also carry what you need.

I picked up my F3 last fall and it had symptoms such as the ones that you are experiencing. I noticed that several of the connectors were brown, some much darker than others. I removed all the connectors in the charging circuit and carefully soldered and applied the shrink. The regulator/rectifier connections were also bad and were the most challenging to solder. I carefully cut away enough of the plastic on the regulator/rectifier and was able to directly solder the wires to it. (This is where the higher wattage iron helped.) I then used some Scotch electrical tape and ran it between the connections and then around the entire assembly. It doesn’t look great, but I am the only one who sees it when I take off the plastics. I have had absolutely no problems with the bike since I put it back together in January.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Default RE: charging system trouble

I got the exact same problem now....what was your fix? Did you ever find out what was the issue?