CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

charging system ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy charging system ???

i have a 1996 hondaa 600 f3. on the way home of purchasing the bike 3 months ago, it shut off while driving, and i coasted until i could veer off. bike would not turn on (no power) wheeled it home.
brought the bike to mechanic. said it was a fuel pump problem and that the charging system is f***ed
my mechanic said the charging system is pretty much soon gone.
since then, I see that the only time i can ride is when battery is fully charged, but the battery will drain after about 2- 4 hours of being ON.
the bike is draining the battery.
this is the third battery in 3 months.
any way i can go around this?
my mechanic said to fix the charging system and labor, over weighs the price of the bike. and the bike is about $3000
My HONDA is my only means of transportation right now.
please help friends.....

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 PM

check you r/r they are not too expensive but if its not working you will cook the battery and it will fry

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Default Feeling your pain

Hello
I have an almost identical problem with a 98 600F, very frustrating and i look forward to some replies from anyone who knows a bit more than i.

I have checked the RR according to an article on the electrosport website (http://www.electrosport.com) and according to that article it is ok, the diodes pass all the tests, but i am not convinced. I have check the stator, 0.3ohm on all three phases, so again, that should be ok (0.1-1 is the ok range i have been told)

Only getting 12.2V at the battery and this goes to 12.5 at all rev ranges o the bike when on, should be above 13.5. Bike runs fine when the battery is charged, until the ancilaries drain it and it stops. I don't think the battery is the problem.

Noticed evidence of arching on the RR loom connection plug on 2 of the stator wires, one looked quite bad. I cleaned this up and checked the connection so should have fixed the problem if this was it but still no charging.

I think that the problem is the RR, but it is not lending itself to easy diagnosis.

Sounds like we have the same problem and i welcome any comment on likely solutions before i go and spend my hard earned.

Thanks
MS

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 89cane
check you r/r they are not too expensive but if its not working you will cook the battery and it will fry
I believe that you had a thread about the r/r, with photos iirc, could you post that here for additional help?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM

I am replacing the notorious r/r I am looking at one from a 900RR. Anybody have any experience with these? Or any suggestions as to which r/r I should replace it with?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 PM

in about the same boat at u guys.... Its either th3 r/r or the fuel pump

Old 03-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by briroomes

my mechanic said to fix the charging system and labor, over weighs the price of the bike. and the bike is about $3000

please help friends.....
You need to find a new mechanic!

Right now I can go on ebay and find a new voltage regulator for $100 and a good used Stator for $75 and a side cover gasket for $15.00.

The hardest part of of swapping out the Stator is removing the plastic on the F3 to get to the Stator cover and draining the oil. 4 hours labor total to tear it down and put it all back together $250.00.

I would pick up a new Voltage Regulator and see if this fixes the problem, I bet it does!

Good Luck !

SIRR1

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM

charging system diagnose

oh yeah, tell that "mechanic" to buy you a drink first and use some lube on you at least.

Attached Thumbnails charging system ???-3464_10.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM

How do i figure out if it the fuel pump gone bad or the voltage regulator

Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 PM

all the people i have talked to had to replace the r/r at around 30k miles. the r/r is going to fail at some point, so if you haven't replaced it yet, plan on it. i would only replace it with a new one unless the used one was if not free almost. i carry a spare r/r and ignition module with me when i ride, having one of these parts fail when you are 100 miles from home would ruin your weekend. especially when they fit in your pocket.

i would think that if the fuel pump is actually pumping, that if it stops pumping when it builds pressure. its good. the fuel pump on the f3 only pumps something like 4 to 7psi with very low volume. so its not moving a great deal of fuel. someone that is used to a high volume 70+psi pump on most fuel injected cars would think it was bad. i run my bike hard all day and still get almost 40mpg, the pump doesn't deliver much fuel. think about it, if you are running 100mph and you are getting 33mpg, that's 3 gallons per hour?

the type pump that is used on the f3 can also be found on several models of forklifts and lots of industrial equipment(generators, yard tractors, etc), i am pretty sure they are just by the psi rating. so, an equivalent pump may be available lots of places new and cheap. small engine and forklift parts places would be the first places i would check. i am not sure of this, but i have an industrial generator and a forklift that have fuel pumps that are almost identical to the one on my f3. another place to check would be rv service centers, most rvs have a generator that pumps fuel from the rvs main fuel tank. this type fuel pump is very common.

something else you might want to look into is called a "lift pump" found in most diesel engine platforms.

anyways, I've had half a bottle of wine and i have rambled enough.

Quick Reply: charging system ???