CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

chain and sprockets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: chain and sprockets?

You'll need a chain press tool and a chain riveting tool.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man

Torque??? I GOOD mechanic can look at the bolt size, the thread size, the material and know how much torque it can take. Maybe for a head you should torque it but sprocket bolts... come on. If you take it to a shop they will not torque them. But if it makes you sleep better at night go for it. If you are in question just torque them to spec or a little more. Torque wrenches can be off by more than 10%. Threads and bolts can take alot more than what the spec is. When I build an engine I only torque the head and crank. Everything else is feel.

i am the same way... but like i said this is what i did on my bike, now if it was someone elses i might do things alittle different, as for the 135mph comment i mean really who goes 135 you talk like we have sportbikes or something..... and if the wheel did come off thats why i wear gear..... and pray alot

Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The quality of motorcycles is so much greater now because of standardized processes -- one of which is torque control. Ever wonder why old Hardlys shook parts off -- well they do vibrate a lot -- but there was also the mentality that you can just slap stuff on and tighten it up and it'll work. I've been a motorhead since I was 12 and still am amazed at how far off I am when I torque something by hand and then check it with the wrench. It's always amusing to me when peeps strip out the oil pan or spark plug cause they were too lazy to walk to the tool box and grab a torque wrench.

Allright -- I'm off the soapbox on this subject. Your thread has been pirated but I return it back to you now. If you need any more info on the job let us know This is a thread I posted on doing a chain conversion but it may be helpful to you CHAIN

Old 10-21-2005, 07:33 AM

well i went ahead and dove into it this afternoon, went pretty well, only took me a few hours, even after a few stupid little mistakes. bike feels great, it's like a whole new bike.. i'll have to post some pictures soon, as i'm a new member and all..

Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 AM

be sure you check them and make sure they don't come loose after a few day of riding or a few hours if you ride alot

Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 AM

well i went for my first big ride since changing everything and all i can say is WOW. it's like a whole new bike. the old chain was on it's last leg, completely stretched in one spot, and entirely too loose, and i just can't even describe the difference it made, not to mention the extra kick from the sprockets (1 down 1 up). i've got a bunch more stuff on the way for the bike, but here's a link to some pictures of the progress so far.. pictures i bought the bike about a month ago more or less stock except for the pipe. all i've really done since then is my own "custom" paint job (spray paint). also threw on a set of pilot powers, which i LOVE, and cut off the rear fender and rewired the tail light to integrate the turn signals, but i don't have pictures of the fender yet. anyway i live in mountain view, CA, so if there's any one else here in the bay area that wants to hit up 84 or 9 sometime, let me know.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 AM

added some pics after painting the wheels..